Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Insight II (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-insight-ii-82/)
-   -   Brand-New Insight-II! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-insight-ii-82/brand-new-insight-ii-23888/)

Indigo 02-16-2010 07:09 AM

Brand-New Insight-II!

My partner and I had owned a Scion xD and a 2001 Honda Accord. Well, yesterday we traded in the Accord. I was originally looking for a Honda Fit Sport, but the dealer offered an Insight-II for $17,500 (basically the same price as a Fit Sport). That was a deal I couldn't turn down.

In mixed city/highway driving yesterday, I got 51 MPG. This morning, in 100% city with lots of traffic lights, I still squeezed 43 MPG out of the car. This is one awesome machine.

I keep reading about how the Insight doesn't have a "real" battery-only mode, but I think that is incorrect. There were plenty of times yesterday where the power utilization screen showed that the fuel was turned off and the car was being propelled by batteries. This was usually at slow speeds on flat roads, but it does seem to have at least a limited form of EV cruising.

So far, so good. I'm pretty happy!:angel:

Gairwyn 02-16-2010 09:54 AM

Re: Brand-New Insight-II!

Hey, good luck with the new car!

Stop by and post your impressions now & then. You had experience with the HCH I, so it would be interesting to see how the cars compare.

Indigo 02-16-2010 10:29 AM

My initial, 24-hour impression is that the Insight-II is a lot more refined than the HCH-I. Although I really liked my old Civic a lot, it always seemed like a hastily-created hybrid conversion from a standard vehicle. The Insight-II feels more purpose-built.

The IMA in the Insight-II takes a much more active role. It actually can push the car solo at low speeds. I also LOVE the instrumentation in the Insight-II. It's just awesome.

The stereo in the Insight is better than what shipped with the HCH-I. The handling is also better. Despite the fact that the Insight has only 98 HP, it doesn't seem any slower than the HCH-I.

The HCH-I had a higher trim level. My old hybrid had cruise control, map lights, etc. My new car is more spartan.

The Insight doesn't make as much electrical noise as the HCH-I when braking or accelerating.

Indigo 02-27-2010 03:46 AM

So... after two tanks, I have some additional observations -- mostly positive.

-- My actual fuel economy is 32/50 in most circumstances. That still averages out to the EPA estimate of 41 MPG combined.
-- My tank averages have been 45 and 46 MPG so far.
-- If I'm really careful, I can get 60 MPG highway.
-- While the IMA isn't quite powerful enough to drive the car by itself, it does allow the car to "coast" with the engine disengaged for brief periods of time. This is a feature that the HCH-I didn't have.
-- The visibility inside the car is kinda terrible. I already scratched the back bumper :(
-- The handling is fantastic.
-- "Blue Mode" (Sport on + ECO off) totally kicks a$$ if you're in a hurry and need to get somewhere fast.
-- It's very cool that it's a hatchback that almost passes for a 4-door sedan.
-- The engine acceleration is kinda "grabby" when the car is first started and the blue temperature gauge is lit.
-- The brakes are not as grabby as in the HCH-I (ie. it doesn't try to send me through the windshield every time I stop the car). This is a significant improvement.

About the 32 MPG City fuel economy. I didn't think my morning commute could actually get worse, but it has. The courthouse I am now stationed at is 2.5 miles from my house but has a whopping SIXTEEN traffic lights -- and they're always out of sequence. So I drive 200' then stop; drive 200' then stop; drive 200' and stop. I'm actually halfway to work by the time the temperature icon disappears.

I'd walk to work, but the neighborhood is so bad near my workplace that I would get my throat slit.

Harold 02-27-2010 08:29 AM

Your FE will improve in time. There is a learning curve on how to drive Honda Hybrids? It does not come over night. Having driven a 1 will help somewhat ,but not allot. I am thinking of buying one for our #2 car? Have fun with your Insight.:) Hal

coach81 02-27-2010 12:10 PM

Hey everone! I've been debating and debating over and over about hybrids.. one day I'm ready to buy.. the next I can't even imagine it.

Anyway.. my main concern is.. battery warranty..

I have a Nissan Frontier, that I love.. it gets horrible (12- 14 mpg) gas mileage.. but it is PAID FOR LOL, I would love to get something that can get me 40+MPG.. and I even went out and test drove the Insight today.. I found it a bit small and limited in interior space.. but the hybrid aspects intrigued(sp) me.

I look on the Honda site and it boasts an 8 - year 100K mile battery warranty.. I've heard rumors about "replacement" batteries costing over 5K.

Bottom line.. is it really worth it to invest in a hybrid car???

Thanks in advance for your comments..

Indigo 02-27-2010 12:21 PM

I Wouldnt worry about the battery. My previous hybrid (a HCH-1) went 142k miles before the batteries died. Even then, the car was still driveable (albeit at 38 MPG).

coach81 02-27-2010 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Indigo (Post 219443)
I Wouldnt worry about the battery. My previous hybrid (a HCH-1) went 142k miles before the batteries died. Even then, the car was still driveable (albeit at 38 MPG).

So you are telling me the car will run without the battery working?

Indigo 02-27-2010 01:58 PM

Yes. It just won't run as well. A Honda can get away with this because it is a mild hybrid. A full hybrid like the Prius would be crippled.

coach81 02-27-2010 02:01 PM

Interesting....