Brand-New Insight-II!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Brand-New Insight-II!

I figured the new Insight wouldn't have as good visibility that one has with the first-generation HCH. But the Insight II sure is a nice-looking car.

Maybe the mpgs will be better for your short morning commute when warmer weather comes. I can relate to your situation. I have a short work commute through a dangerous area in the evening, so I wish I could walk to & from work but it wouldn't be wise.
I've read that the auto-stop feature in the new Insight is of shorter duration than in the HCH. Have you noticed that with your new car?

Honda hybrids really do seem to favor highway driving.

Thanks for posting your experience, Indigo.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast

Guys I have to tell you.. I know you may hate me for this.. but after test driving the insight and the prius today.. I much prefer the Prius for these reasons:

1. Driving the Insight felt "rough".. kinda like driving a go-kart. The Prius felt like driving a mid-sized sedan.
2. The leg room in the backseat was MUCH better in the Prius then the Insight.
3. The Insights interior seemed "cheap" and the Prius seemed much better.
4. The technology of the Prius (smart key, information, etc.) seemed superior to me.

I will probably not buy any of the two for the time being because I can't justify a new car note, but I just felt compelled to let you know my honest opinions...

Old 02-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I Had the opposite feelings after driving the three, Prius, HCH2 and the Insight. The Honda's come out ahead for me. Sure the Prius has more bells and whistles but it should for the extra 5 grand it cost? Hal

Old 02-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Harold! I actually got a pretty similar quote for both cars..

A decently equipped Insight was about 20 - 21K.. and the Prius II was about 24... to get what I want - in my humble opinion, a superior vehicle- I would gladly pay the difference..

Old 02-28-2010, 11:33 AM

Coach81 , you are lucky you live in the US because in Canada the Prius is over 30 grand! I like the Prius, don't get me wrong and if I used it in city driving more then that is what I would buy. 60 hp EV is great for city driving. Hal

Old 02-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

Oh my if it was that price here.. I would not even consider it!!

Old 02-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Witch w/ sense of humor

I took a 606-mile drive yesterday and the Insight-II got 51 MPG. Yay!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Very good! Sure is satisfying to come in over 50? Hal

Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coach81
Hey everone! I've been debating and debating over and over about hybrids.. one day I'm ready to buy.. the next I can't even imagine it.

Anyway.. my main concern is.. battery warranty..

I have a Nissan Frontier, that I love.. it gets horrible (12- 14 mpg) gas mileage.. but it is PAID FOR LOL, I would love to get something that can get me 40+MPG.. and I even went out and test drove the Insight today.. I found it a bit small and limited in interior space.. but the hybrid aspects intrigued(sp) me.

I look on the Honda site and it boasts an 8 - year 100K mile battery warranty.. I've heard rumors about "replacement" batteries costing over 5K.

Bottom line.. is it really worth it to invest in a hybrid car???

Thanks in advance for your comments..
I stopped in the Honda Service Department (for a free car wash). They had a sign that said "Honda Car Batteries $59 installed). I looked at the service rep with an evil grin. No way they would honor that deal.

I have seen a post by a hyper miler that makes a valid point that you can drive this car by gas engine alone and get better fuel economy than using the hybrid system.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrEWorm
I stopped in the Honda Service Department (for a free car wash). They had a sign that said "Honda Car Batteries $59 installed). I looked at the service rep with an evil grin. No way they would honor that deal.

I have seen a post by a hyper miler that makes a valid point that you can drive this car by gas engine alone and get better fuel economy than using the hybrid system.
Not sureI understand what you mean.. if that is the case.. why make it a hybrid? Why buy a hybrid then?

Quick Reply: Brand-New Insight-II!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands