June 09 Insight vs. Prius US sales

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: June 09 Insight vs. Prius US sales

Why are you on here trashing Hybrids then. My sister is on her second TDI lots of problems with electrical systems on both the old 04 and the new 07, she is wishing she didn't by another one. I gotta say I don't like them, but you don't find me going on a TDI board and trashing them.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A car IS an appliance, to me.
A car is to get me somewhere.
If I want fun I'll go disco dancing in my bell bottoms, or something.

I love my new Insight, and I had an HCH1 and HCH2.

It is smaller, and the back seats go down.
It looks better and has a smaller turning radius.
It is more vibration free at high speeds than my HCH2 was.
I accidentally found my speed creep up to 85 MPH in it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Last edited by kenny; 07-15-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by psyshack
Yes my good man it is a FIT with a butchered IMA and a better than $3k price increase over FIT. Every trim level of Insight want to be should be no more than $1750 per above FIT. And then thats a stretch. It's not even cool and camp like the adverts wish to push. It has the Clarity type front end. Looks like a bull dog front end Ford pick up of days gone by.

It is a marketing and engineering failure. IMA is on it's last rope.

I just spoke with a good insider concerning Honda hybrids. The only thing over all that will save IMA is to clutch it. Honda has tested it and will not build it. It's like Honda Motors LTD is going backwards. Honda can't make there diesel make EPA in a wuzzy might sell AT car for lazy Americans. So none for us. But the UK gets to get great cars. A UK spec. oiler is a far better car than a HCHII. I've driven one. More room, a dash that does not look like a cheap but fashionable arcade game. It's like driving a big butt American Accord.

Insight is a failure. From name sake to marketing to engineering. It is a FIT and way over priced! It's Hondas take on,,,, look!!!! GM has nothing on us.

The Real Insight was a ground breaking car,,, period! It was about as close as one could get to a mass market car that was **** near hand built. A 100 mpg was only a few tricks away in driving style. And EPA was a shoe in unless you drove it like a Si 100% of the time. The only thing Insight has going for it is less mpg than Civic, handles worse than FIT because only Honda knows. And it's no where near as functional as a base PII. It is a CVT striped IMA over priced abortion FIT. Now let your mind wonder. What will the FIT hybrid be? They can't strip IMA anymore with out it becoming a utter joke like GM's BAS.

Why would anybody buy a Insight want to be if they knew they could get a killer deal on a HCHII. And after I put 100 miles today on a 09 TDI base Jetta with a 6MT and Navi. I wont even look to hybrids again the way there engineering efforts are going. I got 50 mpg out of the TDI with the A/C on,,, and I was not kind to the car AT ALL! I could get that car today for $20k no Navi and no god awful CVT and 300+ in TQ.

The current want to be Insight is a corprate joke on the world at large. And folks thought Wall Street was uncaring. LMFAO

I would have to strongly disagree with some of your statements.

I owned both Honda Hybrids and I test drove the hell out of the Prius, the Insight was a much better car. I am not a super hypermiler but I also don't care too much about the power. I step on the gas and the car moves forward (or backwards if in reverse).

I personally do not like the Civic Hybrid due to the limited capacity it has. (Cargo Room).

Now you are correct when you say the Insight is based on the Fit platform. But that base is far from being a shoe in correct statement. The correct statement would be, the Insight shares some of the Fit Platform, but it was highly modified to accommodate the battery and sleeker design.

Your comments on the Jetta: I also drove the 09 model TDI and it was also a good car. The issue I had with it was not with the car, but with the Fuel it uses. Last year when prices were high, diesel was MORE expensive. I didn't want to be put in a position where it could go right back up to $5.00 a gallon.

The Insight may be a joke to you and maybe a joke to Honda but it seems to be a nice small compact that is getting me great gas mileage and awesome usability.

Thank you,