Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Chevrolet Volt/Cadillac ELR (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/chevrolet-volt-cadillac-elr-88/)
-   -   anyone replace volt battery before? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/chevrolet-volt-cadillac-elr-88/anyone-replace-volt-battery-before-30875/)

gggh000 07-27-2016 11:18 AM

anyone replace volt battery before?

is it replaceable? has anyone done it? if so how much it costs and at what mileage?
other day i was talking to fellow lexus ct200h and for his car, it costs about 8K$ to replace once overtime it does not become chargeable. wondered how it fares for volt.

Hillbilly_Hybrid 08-01-2016 08:16 AM

Re: anyone replace volt battery before?

GM Parts Direct web site shows $6890 ish price on-line for a Volt battery. NOTE: it's way bigger than the Lexus and it's water cooled.

gggh000 08-03-2016 12:02 PM

i see, i was wondering at what point any driver of volt have changed if they ever did. I ran across one article circulating over internet the black girl who was driving volt has reached 300,000 miles with original battery.

gggh000 08-03-2016 12:04 PM

found it:

http://www.hybridcars.com/chevy-volt...300000th-mile/
It says out of 300k, about 100k on E-charge. 100k / ~40 comes to 2500 full charge cycle.

There is one user posted it something relevant regarding what I was looking for :
If PhD guy predicts the 500 discharge cycles (which obviously underrated) it will last probably less than 2 years.

• JPP5 months ago Need to share this with Richard Muller, PhD from Stanford who predicted that the Volt would need a complete battery change after 500 charge/discharge cycles. Looks like this Volt got over 2500 and the battery is still holding the rated charge

S Keith 08-03-2016 12:27 PM

Really? You people don't understand cycles on hybrid/electric/plug-ins?

Quote for cycle life are full charge/discharge cycles, i.e., from 100% true SoC to 0% true SoC. They typically range from 500 to 2000 depending on system design and chemistry. The PhD is either talking about this type of cycling or is talking out of his ***.

The Volt does what every other car using a traction battery does... limits the SoC range to something less than 100%. The typical range is 20-80% thus only using 60% of the total battery capacity. This reduced discharge depth DRAMATICALLY increases the number of cycles the battery can experience without degrading significantly. The Prius limits its wee tiny battery to 40-80% range using only 40% of its 6.5Ah range. This practice increases the number of cycles into the tens and hundreds of thousands depending on depth.

gggh000 08-03-2016 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 260289)
Really? You people don't understand cycles on hybrid/electric/plug-ins?

Quote for cycle life are full charge/discharge cycles, i.e., from 100% true SoC to 0% true SoC. They typically range from 500 to 2000 depending on system design and chemistry. The PhD is either talking about this type of cycling or is talking out of his ***.

The Volt does what every other car using a traction battery does... limits the SoC range to something less than 100%. The typical range is 20-80% thus only using 60% of the total battery capacity. This reduced discharge depth DRAMATICALLY increases the number of cycles the battery can experience without degrading significantly. The Prius limits its wee tiny battery to 40-80% range using only 40% of its 6.5Ah range. This practice increases the number of cycles into the tens and hundreds of thousands depending on depth.

:omg::omg::omg:

gggh000 08-03-2016 01:21 PM

i leave my volt fully charged almost everyday at work and leave it in the charger even if it is fully charged. Its rated range is around 37-40mph in publication but I see 43mph.
So even if it is fully charged, does that mean it has not charged to 100% full capacity because it is deliberately designed to?

S Keith 08-03-2016 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by gggh000 (Post 260291)
So even if it is fully charged, does that mean it has not charged to 100% full capacity because it is deliberately designed to?

Yes.

Edit: Read the first paragraph of the drivetrain section on the Wikipedia page for the Volt. It only uses 65% of its available capacity.

Hillbilly_Hybrid 08-04-2016 12:00 PM

Many EV owners do not yet understand the engineering andprogramming required to maximize both electric range and battery life. More is not always better.
Sure you can go farther pushing the State OfCharge higher and draining it lower.Then you drastically shorten the life of a very expensive battery.A battery is chemistry.
There are actual physical changes to batterycells if you push them too far.LithiumIon will actually have aluminum metal atoms move under certain over voltageconditions.
This damages the cell and isNOT reversible.