Drove a Volt yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Drove a Volt yesterday

I am visiting family in So. Cal, happened by a Chevy dealer with a Volt, I drove it, I love it, I am on the verge of leasing it but I am thinking there might be sales tax issues when I bring it back to my home state of WA. the car is smooth even on the grooved so cal freeways, has tons of power and seems very comfortable....they are offering a good lease rate soooooo I am really torn...any-way, they only have the one in stock, it is black....thinking thinking thinking

Old 08-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Proud to be GM
Default Re: Drove a Volt yesterday

Bob,

If you haven't pulled the trigger on a 2011 Volt yet, there's bad news and good news.

BAD NEWS: The 2011 Volts are all but sold out. Couple hundred left in various corners of the country.

GOOD NEWS: You've probably already heard that the price has been lowered by about $1,000, OnStar Turn by Turn for 3 years, Chevy MyLink with Bluetooth, and a few more option packages and colors.

Personally, I'm waiting to hear if the lease pricing will be the same as for 2011. If so, I've got a car coming off lease in Feb 2012 and the Volt is the #1 option for replacing it.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 AM

more bad news, the 2012's will loose the Bose audio and Nav as standard :-( so, they really aren't 1,000 less....kind of like keeping ice cream prices the same by making the container smaller then raising them anyway :-(....I have not bought yet, they have just become available in WA....I decided not to buy in CA. because WA has no sales tax on alternate fuel vehicles, CA charges their tax or the tax in the state you reside in, whichever is higher...anyway, still dealing with dealers to get one of these semi precious comidities and the gm lease price..seems the WA. dealers do not want to participate in the lease program....

Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Administrator

are they only on lease not financing?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've heard rumors that the average Volt price is around $45,000. I hope that isn't true.

I'd never buy a compact or subcomapct for that.
If they are lease only, I'd never get one that way either, in light of what they did with the EV1's.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Administrator

the current 2011 ml450 hybrids are lease only, too. hmmm. I hope they make the 2012 ml450 new design hybrid by finance.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 PM

No, you can buy or lease, IF you can find one and keep the dealer from playing games, some bump the price up $5,000, some will let you "have" one for full price...right now for the most part you are buying one of a couple allocations for future delivery...when they introduced the lease program, I got excited, but, all they have here are allocations and for the lease you have to take delivery by 9/6....hard to do for a car that wont be delivered till November or so.
So, the base on the car for 2011 is $41,000, on the 2012 it is 39,750 or thereabouts, leather is 1,400, back up camera $700, nav/bose (on 2012's) 1,700, polished wheels 600, most paint colors are 500-1000 extra...nice.
I tried to buy one again today, I spent all night last night trying to locate one, I found one about 500 miles from where I live, contacted the dealer...It had a few more options than I wanted but I was ready to drive 8 hours, spend the night, trade in my Civic and be done with it...we were good on the lease price BUT...they would not give me any trade in value on my car offering $1,500 less than book trade in value for a car in fair condition, ($3,000+ less than average condition) in other words a car needing lots of reconditioning....my car is not in fair condtition, there are no dings, dents, scratches, dirty interior...there are new tires and tinted windows..oh yeah it has 33K miles (it is a 2007) they would not budge, neither would I....so, no deal...too bad.
I am now convinced that the Volt is being produced to allow GM to continue to sell gas guzzlers, Corvettes, Camaros and trucks...when the epa look at their coparate mileage and points at these cars they say yea but we have a pulg in hybrid/electric whatever....anyway, for now, I have given up my quest for the elusive Volt, I refuse to buy one and tie up that much cash, I refuse to pay $600-700 a month to save another $20-30 a month in gas so, GM, keep it, thanks, no thanks....it is a VERY nice car, it really is, but, until you make them less precious, sorry, not me.

Last edited by Bobs Metallic Pearl; 08-06-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bobs Metallic Pearl
I am now convinced that the Volt is being produced to allow GM to continue to sell gas guzzlers, Corvettes, Camaros and trucks...when the epa look at their coparate mileage and points at these cars they say yea but we have a pulg in hybrid/electric whatever....anyway, for now, I have given up my quest for the elusive Volt, I refuse to buy one and tie up that much cash, I refuse to pay $600-700 a month to save another $20-30 a month in gas so, GM, keep it, thanks, no thanks....it is a VERY nice car, it really is, but, until you make them less precious, sorry, not me.
no, not really. it is the dealer's prerogative to give you better than trade in value. that is why there is trade in, private party and suggested(dealer price) value. if you want to get a better price to your civic, then sell it privately, or if you are a doc(M.D.) sell it at doctorownedcras.com to get close to or even higher than suggested retail value. gm btw doesn't dictate the price of the volt, it is consumer demand and the dealer that adds a market value hence the higher price.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:45 PM

I understand what you are saying, did you read my comment? they were offering me $1,500 less then the TRADE IN VALUE for a car in POOR condition. I never expected retail. You may be in a position to take a $3,000 hit on a car so the dealer can make more profit, I am not.
and I understand that GM does not say what the dealer can sell the car for but, OH WAIT what is that MSRP sticker on the window, Manf. Suggested Retial Price...they would mean they could sell for less or more...just not to me.....Levis have a msrp sticker on them to (really just bought some today) it says $54, I paid $37.99, not $65.

$43,000 is more than enough for a mid size car in my opinion.

Last edited by Bobs Metallic Pearl; 08-07-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A lot of money so you can maybe save $20 a mth. I think you are lucky they tried to steal your HCH11! H

Quick Reply: Drove a Volt yesterday

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands