Used Volt Good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast
Location: Small valley in mountains within the Shenandoah Valley
Default Used Volt Good Idea?

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2011 Volt with 31K miles on it.
This means two more years of warranty on the battery. Obviously price dependent, but asking is 15K, I would say value more like 12-13K and would bargain. Car is in great shape.

It would seem that there should be good life left in the battery, but I am wondering what the Volt owners here think of this. Would it be better to just wait for my Honda Civic Hybrid to die then buy/lease new (getting the better performance of the 2016 and beyond), or do you think this would be a good deal?

Do you have any ideas for evaluating battery quality/performance?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Used Volt Good Idea?

i just got 2013 with 40,000 with powertrain warranty till 100,000 for 16k. It is certain risk but i took it. End it was best choice after considering several EV/hybrids.

Tesla: great but too expensive
Leaf: range anxiety
Hybrid SUVs/luxuries: miserable mileage even with the hybrid version.

So in terms of cost, value, practicality, volt wins hands down IMHO.

Owned it only less than a month so it is hard to tell whether i made a good choice, so far so good i like it. I just hope it will not break down as often as some lemons.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast
Location: Small valley in mountains within the Shenandoah Valley

Thanks gggh000. I agree that the Volt is one of the best ideas out there in terms of good economy with no range anxiety. The opportunity has passed and we are still using our 2004 manual trans Civic with almost 200K on it and average mileage down to about 52.5 mpg (average used to be 54.8). The Volt would be a replacement for the Civic. Will keep an eye out with your experience in mind. Please post your ideas after a little time passes.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

i like 2004 manual civic. i had civic crx 1988 with manual which ran great and had 50mpg and also owned acura tl 2002 which had meager 26mpg. i had great disappointment with acura regarding its persistent transmission problem. it is worst car i have owned since i replaced the tranny 3 times. i am happy to got rid of it by trade-in for 1000$. Volt is light years ahead of my acura in terms of numerious technologies embedded in it. i'd suggest you go for it.