Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Almost our of corn

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Almost our of corn

Well, this will probably be my last thread until the fall. I'm down to my last 500 pounds of corn, or enough to heat the house for 5-10 days, depending on usage.

I will have burned 12000 pounds for the entire season.
The Furnace cost $2500.00 and I installed it myself, no real issues.
My cost for corn was $960.00
Cost of trailer rental was $60.00
Cost of gas to trailer corn was roughly $60.00

Lots of lifting and carrying 50 pound bags of corn. You certainly will feel it the next day.

Corn furnace is still running great! I'll tear it down sometime next month to inspect it and see what might be wearing our, if anything. Overall, I have been very happy burning corn.

We are also thinking of solar power as well. We'll see what things look like after this season.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Almost our of corn

I'm very glad you have had a good experience, despite the periodic cleaning. Even happier to hear about the solar!

Can you tabulate up the net savings over what you would've spent on gas?

Old 03-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Engineering first
Question Re: Almost out of corn

Originally Posted by challenger1
Well, this will probably be my last thread until the fall. I'm down to my last 500 pounds of corn, or enough to heat the house for 5-10 days, depending on usage.

I will have burned 12000 pounds for the entire season. . . .
Did you have any trouble with critters getting in the corn?

Bob Wilson

Old 03-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by challenger1
Lots of lifting and carrying 50 pound bags of corn. You certainly will feel it the next day.
...don't forget to factor in the savings of NOT having to pay gym membership or gas driving to the gym!

Old 03-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

No critter problems at all thankfully. I kept all the corn in the basement...nice and dry.

Don't forget to go to the gym! One of my friends was helping me out who doesn't stay in shape, and he couldn't even get a beer down afterwards!

I'm waiting for the next 2 gas bills, and that will give me a better idea of what I would have spent on gas. November, December and January all averaged out to 26, versus the year before average of 131, so I just need to get February and March in, and I'll have a better idea.

The solar is looking more appealing. I'm planning to build a 3 car garage facing south, so I should be able to capture a bunch of energy if we go that route.