Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Android app to show Hybrid power flow

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:36 PM
2006 & 2007 FEH
Default Android app to show Hybrid power flow

I recently picked up an 07 Ford Escape hybrid with the nav option. I've come to really appreciate the nav's display of the hybrid flow, but i'm bothered by the lack of coolant display(among other things). I'm planning on replacing the head unit with an Android touch screen model. My goal is to have everything set up as a widget so that no apps need to be opened after starting the car.

Does anyone know of a widget or app that can show the power flow for the Hybrid system similar to how the native car displays work? I imagine i can make a widget if i have to, but i'd much prefer to find something that's already established.

Orange - Google Play Music
Green - Torque widgets
Phones - native android call widgets
Big car thing - Yet to be found widget

Old 10-19-2018, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Android app to show Hybrid power flow

There's something like this for the prius that reads data using a bluetooth OBD:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hsd10&hl=en_US

To get what you want for your Ford Escape hybrid you might have to go custom, since I expect every hybrid has a different way of passing this information around. A bluetooth OBD reader might be somewhere to start though, since at least thats a somewhat universal interface, where as the existing head unit probably has some custom way of reading the data that might be harder to reverse engineer.

Another option may be to see what kind of connection the current head unit uses to it's LCD screen, you may be able to get help on an electronics forum to put together an adapter to convert this into an HDMI output, so you could use the existing head unit hidden somewhere, then use an android device with HDMI input, and somehow make an extra app to overlay it with the additional OBD data.

No doubt will be a challenging project however you go about it, I wish you luck!