Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Because it's some-girl-on-the-internet's birthday

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Vegetarian
Wink Because it's some-girl-on-the-internet's birthday

Since my 20th birthday is only 17 days away, I figured it was about time I sent out my list.

I want to do things a little different this year, instead of getting things for me, I want you to buy/do things for yourself that also in some way benefit me too. Obviously I'm not honestly expecting you to do everything on my list, but do what you can. I'm interested to hear what you do and how it effects you. You are also not limited to the things on this list, if you can think of anyway to make the world a better/cleaner place, by all means do it. And because this isn't a traditional buy-me-things birthday list I'm sending it to everybody. If you see I've missed someone, it's because I don't have their email address, so please forward it.

Buy a Terrapass, or other carbon emissions offset, for all of your vehicles.

Stop buying bottled water. Make your own tea, coffee and Gatorade. Buy a good reusable container to carry drinks with you.

Stop using incandescent light bulbs, use compact fluorescents, or LEDs.

Buy organic everything as often as possible, or even better, buy locally grown/produced things (by local I mean within about a 100 mile radius).

Reduce, refuse, reuse, recycle. In that order. For those of you in Palm Beach county, know that you can recycle any number of plastic.

Buy things that are recycled.

Start a compost heap.

Buy low-flow shower heads.

If you have a small yard, consider getting a reel mower. Gas powered lawn mowers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers are terrible for the environment as they do not have emissions standards they are not required to have catalytic converters.

Ask your electric company if they offer green energy, if they do, buy it!

Plant a tree.

See An Inconvenient Truth and/or Who Killed the Electric Car.

Use your ceiling fans, reduce your AC use.

Air dry your clothes.

Buy rechargeables the next time you need batteries.

Use natural, non toxic cleansers such as Method, available at Target and elsewhere.

Unplug things when you're not using them. (I seriously don't remember typing that, but do it anyway.)

Good luck!
kt

------

"oooh oooh oooh can i add something to the list?
get a bike, skateboard, or comfy shoes, and stop driving short distances. teach yourself how to bike safely with traffic, and then teach others. if your city/town is not bike friendly, work to change that.

plus, bikes are fun!"

Also if you plan on getting a Terrapass you can use the coupon code: FRIENDS for a 10% discount.

kt (and Erica)

Last edited by IMAhybrid; 08-08-2006 at 10:09 PM. Reason: used html instead of ubb
Old 08-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Default Re: Because it's some-girl-on-the-internet's birthday

I'll do the rechargable battery thing Thats about as conservasionist as I get for now.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I like my NiMH rechargeables...been using them for years and they all hold a charge just as well now as they did before. I could use some work with may of the other things, though. Good list!

Old 08-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Thumbs up Re: Because it's some-girl-on-the-internet's birthday

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
  1. Buy a Terrapass, or other carbon emissions offset, for all of your vehicles.
  2. Stop buying bottled water. Make your own tea, coffee and Gatorade. Buy a good reusable container to carry drinks with you.
  3. Stop using incandescent light bulbs, use compact fluorescents, or LEDs.
  4. Buy organic everything as often as possible, or even better, buy locally grown/produced things (by local I mean within about a 100 mile radius).
  5. Reduce, refuse, reuse, recycle. In that order. For those of you in Palm Beach county, know that you can recycle any number of plastic.
  6. Buy things that are recycled.
  7. Start a compost heap.
  8. Buy low-flow shower heads.
  9. If you have a small yard, consider getting a reel mower. Gas powered lawn mowers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers are terrible for the environment as they do not have emissions standards they are not required to have catalytic converters.
  10. Ask your electric company if they offer green energy, if they do, buy it!
  11. Plant a tree.
  12. See An Inconvenient Truth and/or Who Killed the Electric Car.
  13. Use your ceiling fans, reduce your AC use.
  14. Air dry your clothes.
  15. Buy rechargeables the next time you need batteries.
  16. Use natural, non toxic cleansers such as Method, available at Target and elsewhere.
  17. Unplug things when you're not using them. (I seriously don't remember typing that, but do it anyway.
Happy Birthday Katie !

I'm doing 3, 5, 6, 8, 15 & 17.

I'll be doing 12 when available in Toronto.

The others I'll consider...

Old 08-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Happy Birthday, Katie! I don't mean to sound cheap, but I wasn't planning on getting you anything. Luckily I've got at least ten of them covered.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

1,3,6,12, and 13 are already done/in use.
I'm working on 2,5,10,11,14 and 15 especially the reghargeable batteries and recycling of more waste items at home, work and at school.

Happy Birthday.

The others I'll add to the list and perhaps put on my birthday list when the time comes.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

My wife and I have started the ball rolling to get solar panels to supply electricity to our house. We also do 2,3,4,5,7,13,14,15.