Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Big topic: MUSIC when driving?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Big topic: MUSIC when driving?

Originally Posted by plusaf
me too. i'm afraid i'll dent or bend the steering wheel some day....
That's pretty funny, because a friend of mine called me on Thursday night, asking "Where were you at around 7:30 tonight?" I said "Oh I was driving home." He said, "I thought that was you, the music was loud and your car was bouncing!" I said, "Oh, I was blasting 'Come On Over' by Christina Agulara"

Old 02-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Vegetarian

For radio I listen to NPR mostly. On long trips when I loose a station I'll surf and sometimes stop on some crazy spanish rap I can't understand or a station playing stuff from the 80s.
I prefer to listen to CDs but, if I don't have what I want to listen to burned, I do have an FM transmitter for my iPod. I listen to prog rock, indie, pop rock. I like to sing along. The car is my favorite place to listen to music because I can sing. I don't listen too loud, about 4 bars on the HCH stock stereo. Sometimes I don't listen to anything and just listen to my car.

Old 02-26-2006, 04:18 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, every time. If I didn't listen to something I might have to think and I don't want to so something dangerous like that.

My 3 kiddies have started at the 'local'Waldorf Steiner school. Great school but in Scotland, local means 25 miles away. (We are looking for a closer house, honest - if you are selling a large house in Nairn please tell me - we have giant house in Inverness for sale. Built 1861 - on the banks of River Ness, 8 bedrooms. 4 miles from Loch Ness. Get it while it's hot)

Music: Something loud that I can shout while on my own. White Stripes, Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand. I am 30 but want to pretend I am still young and vital.

Radio: BBC Radio4 for drama and wonderful comedy.
BBC Radio 2 for Jonathan Ross only.
BBC Scotland for Fred Macauley and to remind myself I am Scottish.

Would recommend any of these if like me you want to be informed, educated and don't want to be left with your own thoughts. Scary.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:29 AM
'lectronimo

Originally Posted by philmcneal
...What kind of music are you into?
Pretty much anything. I keep a few playlists on my iPod: one classical/symphonic, another blues/blues-rock/jazz, and still another I call "drive mix"--an eclectic blend of music from my music collection. Then I shuffle the music for interesting sequencing.

The best shuffle mix is the "eclectic blend". For some examples, I may hear a sequence like: "Fun, Fun, Fun, Beach Boys" followed by "Eine kleine Nachtmusik, Mozart" followed by "Oye Como Va, Santana". Maybe a Hank Williams, Enya, Dylan, Dr. John, Miles Davis, BB King sequence. Or, "Walk Like an Egyptian, Bangles", "Crazy, Patsy Cline" followed by "Fever by Peggy Lee" You never know what the shuffle my bring next. :-) I like the juxtaposition/contrast of the varied music styles. When I feel the need, I reshuffle--this mix is 300+ songs and growing.

When I need a break from music I listen to "Books on Tape/CD/WMA" from the local library.

Last edited by 'lectronimo; 02-26-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

Mofro
O.A.R.
Jack Johnson
Jill Sobule
Ryan Shupe
Fiona Apple

Old 02-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ipod- Clapton, Jack Johnson (son told me about him) Jazz(Coltrane,Davis,Mahavishnu Orchestra ect.) Country, TWIT pod casts.. I guess you could say I listen to most ANYTHING except rap...well then I do have some Trik Turner so that blows that I guess.kevin

Old 02-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Besides Ben Folds and some occasional Paul Simon, it's mostly Broadway Cast Recordings in the car. The car's the perfect place to learn them before I'll inevitably have to perform something from the stage for the musical theater group I am a part of, they sound especially nice on my 6.5" Pioneer 3-way speakers, compared to the 15 watt Honda paper things that came with the car. This summer when I have the money, I plan on putting a pair of 4-way speakers in the back. The speakers I wanted to put in the front, but were too deep for the Insight's thin doors.

Frequently, however I have a non-musical enthusiast passenger and I'll let them pick a station or just enjoy the quietness of 3 cylinders and a low drag-coefficient.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

I mostly listen to the "oldies" station (50s, 60s, 70s) on my commute - they have relatively frequent traffic reports and I like the music. My husband would prefer the music on the "Classic Rock" station but I tend to get real tired of the DJs on those stations, the ones on "my" oldies station are clever but relatively low-key.

I haven't adjusted the balance at all however my son-in-law says he made some changes...honestly couldn't tell ya if it made any difference or not (obviously I'm NOT an audiophile).

For long trips, usually bring a bunch of CDs as that's easier than constantly searching for a radio station. When "the kids" (16 to 25) are in the car, I'll sometimes let them play "their" music but that depends on my mood ;-)

Old 02-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Like tbaleno and Shiloh etc., I listen to the oldies and classic rock station on the radio. I also have CDs, generally Beatles (should come as quite a shocker to you all, I'm sure) with some classical mixed in and a few showtunes, and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Lots of NPR for news. But for music (CDs, I haven't figured out these newfangled MP3 things yet ):

- Soulive
- Kraftwerk (esp. Tour de France)
- Grateful Dead
- Jethro Tull
- Medesky Martin & Wood
- Ellis Marsalis
- Frank Zappa
- moe.
- Sting

some bluegrass, lots of classic rock, lots of jazz.

Quick Reply: Big topic: MUSIC when driving?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands