Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Biofuel chemistry and industry?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Engineering first
Default Biofuel chemistry and industry?

http://www.times-standard.com/local/ci_4928954
Originally Posted by Times_Standard
. . .
* AB 1333 -- Grease waste haulers: This bill would make it a misdemeanor to improperly remove grease waste from grease traps or interceptors or otherwise improperly deposit grease materials at any place other than an authorized facility. The purpose of this bill is to make egregious violators of improper handling and disposal of grease removed from traps subject to criminal penalties.
When I read this, I remembered Ruth, a co-worker, and her husband run waste grease in their diesel pickup trucks. She explained that they visit various fast food places and pump the waste grease into the tank in the back of the pickup truck and filter it. They still use a little diesel to get the engine running and then switch over to the waste grease for the rest of the trip. But this is just one couple and I was wondering if there was an industry developing and found:

http://www.biodiesel.org/

What I'm curious about is whether bio-fuels can be processed to make synthetic petroleum products such as lubricants and other hydrocarbon fuels?

Of course the penultimate would be some way to convert sugars and carbohydrates into hydrocarbon chains of any size. In short, replicate what the earth does to make petroleum.

Bob Wilson