Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

China overtakes US-biggest CO2 emitter

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default China overtakes US-biggest CO2 emitter

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/cl...d=networkfront

China has overtaken the United States as the world's biggest producer of carbon dioxide, the chief greenhouse gas, figures released today show.

At least they're riding their bikes! (Ok, bad humor)

Old 06-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Default Re: China overtakes US-biggest CO2 emitter

No fair! They have more people.

I know we are still beating them per capita. They will have to fight hard to take that title away from us.

Last edited by Mr. Kite; 06-20-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 06-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite

I know we are still beating them per capita. They will have to fight hard to take that title away from us.
Yes, we can still be quite proud.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:36 AM
Hybrid True Believer

It makes sense that this could happen. After all, in the past 29 years, we've had Republican presidents for 22 of them. the GOP's chief goal is to send 100% of our manufacturing base overseas to 3rd World hellholes so that rich CEOs can get even richer while at the same time downgrading a factory worker's pay from $15/hr to $6.75/hr when he has to start being a Walmart drudge instead.

and, of course, the ascendency of Walmart is another huge factor in China's CO2 profile. the cheap plastic crap they dump into the Walmart stores are made in sweatshop factories that belch filth into the sky night and day.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 AM

They purchase the same stuff every other store buys! They just do it smarter!!! We don't have to buy all the crap they keep sending, but we seem to like Sat. radios, trunk phobies , sel phones, and on, and on, and on. We gota have all this stuff to so we can sell it at our garage sales, that way we can burn more petrole! H

Old 06-22-2007, 11:10 AM

AshenGrey,
If and when the Dem's take the executive branch over again, how exactly are they going to help China's pollution problem?

The drop in pay is near and dear to my heart, especially with the looming amnesty bill both sides, especially the dem's are pushing.

To get a measure of how big this is, look at city population:
New York 21 million
Los Angeles 18 million
Chicago 9.7 million
Atlanta 5.3 million

The amnesty bill could create an influx of 40-60million low wage laborers here.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 06-22-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
AshenGrey,
If and when the Dem's take the executive branch over again, how exactly are they going to help China's pollution problem?

The drop in pay is near and dear to my heart, especially with the looming amnesty bill both sides, especially the dem's are pushing.

To get a measure of how big this is, look at city population:
New York 21 million
Los Angeles 18 million
Chicago 9.7 million
Atlanta 5.3 million

The amnesty bill could create an influx of 40-60million low wage laborers here.
I agree entirely, Hot GA. I sure HOPE the new leadership WILL do something about these issues. Eliminating foreign oil is top of my list, then the exporting of our US jobs (to China, India, etc), then tackling immigration issues.
Pollution is near the top too, but if nothing is done about China's exponentially growing pollution, in a few years it won't matter one bit what we do. We'll all be doomed by the China pollution. (No excuse, though. We still should do what we can.) The currently proposed treaties exclude huge polluters - and that's partly why the US has not agreed to such a proposal.

This country is now ruled by big business. That is a huge source of manyproblems. Reps (& many Dems) are at fault. This must stop NOW.

--- Oh, China
Walmart forces companies to make products ever-cheaper so they (Walmart) can win any price-wars. If the companies don't comply, Walmart drops them. This forces many of these companies to use the cheapest possible labor force to manufacture their products, so they can sell 'em at Walmart. Often, the cheapest labor force is China (child labor, slave labor, China doesn't appear to care). It's killing our country (one job at a time) - and causing massive pollution & other problems in China. This is NOT simply FREE & FAIR TRADE (and we Americans are not just the sore losers). Basic human & worker rights, welfare, insurance & retirement needs, basic pollution controls, etc. are largely ignored in most of these countries that now create the stuff we buy. Walmart is not the only one forcing this, but they are by far the largest - and thus, the poster-boy. And that then forces Walmart's competitors to do the same. Sam Walton used to champion "made in America by Americans." He's gone now, and Walmart now thinks FAR differently. Sad.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

Boycott Wal-mart

Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by innergwave
Boycott Wal-mart
Some people do. But that won't really work - other than to *try* to send a message (which won't be received).
Even if Wal-mart went bankrupt from a worldwide boycott, the problem is that the mechanisms are well in place now to produce dam* near everything cheaply (and in China). And Wal-mart competitors are quite willing to take up the role as the new poster-boy. Target, K-Mart, Sears - you name 'em - they're ALL doing it now to stay alive.
It's difficult to buy ANYTHING (other than *some* electronic devices) that isn't made in China.
There needs to be much stronger action than Wal-mart avoidance. This problem is epidemic in many, if not most companies today.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite

I am sure that they are not only beating us, but far exceeding us on per capita hydrocarbon emissions, which are much more potent green house gases. If they were to install catalytic converters, I am sure that they would beat us per capita on carbon dioxide emissions and the net global warming potential of their emissions would more than likely decline. This would mean that carbon dioxide is good for the environment, although I doubt you will accept that.

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
http://environment.guardian.co.uk/cl...d=networkfront

At least they're riding their bikes! (Ok, bad humor)
Carbon dioxide is clear and I doubt there is much being emitted from that factory. What you are seeing in that picture are hydrocarbons. If the smoke was white, you would most likely be seeing water vapor, which would indicate that the hydrocarbons have been converted into carbon dioxide as carbon dioxide is clear; carbon dioxide is also much better for the environment.

Last edited by Shining Arcanine; 08-01-2007 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Grammar