Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Could Astronaut Lisa Nowak Hypermiled 900 Miles From Houston to Orlando?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Banned
Talking Could Astronaut Lisa Nowak Hypermiled 900 Miles From Houston to Orlando?

Most of you have heard of the bizzare story of NASA astronaut Lisa Nowak driving 900 miles to confront (probably a mild word) a romatic rival. This is the story, just in case you have not read. Lots of strange things, such as she is married (er. estranged) with children, like the man she wants to see.

The most bizzare thing is she wore an astronaut diaper to avoid stops along the way. My lame excuse for posting this is could Lisa Nowak have driven 900 miles on a tank of gas without stopping? While the answer for a person in her disposition should be obvious, let's explore this.

My 2000 5-speed Honda Insight has gotten 73.5mpg drafting 18-wheelers on the interstate at 70-75mph over 475 miles. While listed at 10 gallons, the Insight actually holds 13 gallons. At 70mpg, that's a range of 910miles - just enough to get to a gas station after unloading the BB-gun.

I don't think she was driving an Insight - what about a Prius? It's bladder (pardon the pun) is 11.9 gallons. Is 55mpg drafting a big rig realistic at highway speeds? If so, that's 654.5 miles going to need to stop once to fill one blader (and empty another).

It's more likely she might have been driving something like a Ford Escape Hybrid - maybe 30mpg under these circumstances. On a fifteen-gallon tank, Mrs. Nowak would be running on empty on her 2nd gas tank as she rolls in to meet her rival.

If she could have maintained an average of 70mph all the way thru, the trip would have taken nearly thirteen hours. I kind of suspect 70 is too slow for her or Capt. Kirk, but even at 80, it's 11hr 15min.

My advise is if you ever have the urge to kill, make sure your commute is no longer than 500 miles.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 02-08-2007 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Could Astronaut Lisa Nowak Hypermiled 900 Miles From Houston to Orlando?

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
My advise is if you ever have the urge to kill, make sure your commute is no longer than 500 miles.
BLADDER = funny
Even 500 miles - that's a long time without a pit (potty) stop. 'Cause I don't think our local Wally World carries these astronaut diapers

Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Could Astronaut Lisa Nowak Hypermiled 900 Miles From Houston to Orlando?

I saw the news story on the TV yesterday morning for the 1st time and noticed the diaper comment but missed the distance traveled or automobile type.

I've barely exceeded 1,000 miles in my HCH last summer and not gone 900 miles since December. I can't imagine exactly what happened in her case, I hope its eventually explained.
Rather odd for sure!

-Steve