Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Extreme MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Engineering first
Talking Extreme MPG

Hi,

I just stumbled across this new link:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/mostEfficient.shtml

Bob Wilson

Old 11-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Insipid Enthusiast
Default Re: Extreme MPG

Good article, thanks for sharing. Hey,.. you are an engineer, what is the probability of building a diy hydrogen generator / reactor. I've seen some plans on the internet, with a direct connection to the airbox. The materials are readily available. The only thing that needs attention would be an additional power source (amps). I'm thinking that it can be supplemented with some solar cells on the roof of the vehicle (the new pliable rubber backed fotovoltaics). I noticed the article had some hydrogen fuel vehicles. Whats your take.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:04 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
Good article, thanks for sharing. Hey,.. you are an engineer, what is the probability of building a diy hydrogen generator / reactor. I've seen some plans on the internet, with a direct connection to the airbox. The materials are readily available. The only thing that needs attention would be an additional power source (amps). I'm thinking that it can be supplemented with some solar cells on the roof of the vehicle (the new pliable rubber backed fotovoltaics). I noticed the article had some hydrogen fuel vehicles. Whats your take.
I'm not a great fan of H(2) because of the energy lost making it followed by the energy loss of using it and the abysmal storage characteristics. Although it has the ultimate specific energy density, NASA uses it to power the shuttle main engines, strapped to the side are a pair of huge, solid rocket boosters, not liquid fueled boosters. NASA also uses H(2) for manned spacecraft power but these applications are at the extremes of human travel.

I'm a stronger fan of using liquified natural gas, methanol and lighter alcohols, ammonia, and acetylene. I also like air-metal batteries, which remains an unexploited, low-hanging fruit.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-14-2007 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry Victor, there's not enough surface area on your car to pop a bag of microwave popcorn, much a less generate H2.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

I have developed a hydrogen reactor already. It is no bigger than a bread box. Hydrogen in this case would be a supplemental fuel. Again the only problem I see is attaining the amps needed for electrolysis. Either way, it is only an idea; I would never have the time to make a fully functioning prototype. I would be willing to try a compressed tank feeding to the TBI manifold. But how to regulate psi (according to acceleration) etc...

Old 11-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Are you consuming alcohol in the reaction? That seems to be a common way to crack H2 these days. Snag the power requirements (amps or watts) and load durations (time), and I'll check feasibility. You might be able to get around the solar option.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

Man, Kraken you sure sound like an oil tycoon or a politician. Here is a link to a site that displays some teenagers plans /working model for h2 generator. It is remedial, however the principal is simple, as you can see. And I do consume alcohol on occasion. lol

http://www.hydropowercar.com/content.php?content.6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdLFFPjgpfc