Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

finding reasonable Chicago hotel

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Question finding reasonable Chicago hotel

Hoping that Chicagolanders can give me some suggestions on hotels priced under $200/night in October. Prefer downtown, I know, I know! Have been spending time researching this instead of reading GreenHybrid! So since downtown isn't looking possible can someone recommend places that are near the blue line, green line or possibly red line and not too far from downtown? Feeling after looking at so many websites and reviews....

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: finding reasonable Chicago hotel

Is there a convention or group your coming in for. Usually they have discount rates less than 200. Is it during the week or just a weekend, again depending when your coming in the prices vary.

Wayne

Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Engineering first

One trick that works in Washington DC is to look in the areas around the ends or suburb parts of the commuter train routes. Often, within a block or so, you can find reasonably priced housing and with a pass, easily commute to the more interesting parts of downtown.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

HI! We are coming in late Thursday afternoon and staying Thursday and Friday night on our way further east. I have been trying to look at hotels near the end of the blue and green line. am disappointed to see that while the rates drop about $50 a night from the possible downtown location, the commute time in is 45 minutes or more one way... thus why I am hoping to find something closer in... I do believe there is something going on those nights because many of our possible River North locations are sold out....
Thanks!

Old 09-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast

Homewood Suites Downtown. Just book the room under the Panasonic Rate. Hotels never check so no worries there. I work for Panny and you'll be fine. It's a very nice hotel,m Breakfast is included as is a managers happy hour with wine, beer and heavy apps/salad, etc...

Us business travelers do it all the time. In 15+ years I've stayed under other company rates just about every time. You name a city and I'll tell you some companies to use.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Unfortunately, Homewood Suites and many other Hilton properties are not available for our stay or aren't easily accessible for us via the L . Other recommendations???

Old 09-06-2007, 05:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

There is a cluster of hotels just south of Midway Airport in Bedford Park, IL. There are cheaper than downtown with free parking. They all have shuttles to Midway, about 5 minutes, where you can catch the Orange Line train, 35 minutes to downtown. Also just south of the hotels are plenty of places to eat that are cheaper than downtown.

Wayne

Last edited by FireEngineer; 09-06-2007 at 05:47 AM.