Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

The forum's thoughts on this,Hybred Vs Hummer

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default The forum's thoughts on this,Hybrid Vs Hummer

Found this today, any educated thoughts?

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188

Rick

Last edited by Rick in Yuma; 03-14-2007 at 01:24 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 03-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Banned
Default Re: The forum's thoughts on this,Hybred Vs Hummer

The link is not working.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

It worked last night. System seems down today.

Last edited by Rick in Yuma; 03-14-2007 at 07:24 AM. Reason: trouble with link
Old 03-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Rick in Yuma
It worked last night. System seems down today.

I sent the following:

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Dear Editor,

Chris Demorro's opinion piece, "Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage" suffers from a lack of fact checking. He claims ". . . their ultimate 'green car' is the source of some of the worst pollution in North America" copied from a flawed _Daily_ _Mail_ article without at least fact checking the environmental record of the Inco Sudbury Canadian plant, http://wwww.inco-sudbury-airquality.com/.

Frank Javor, Superintendent, Health and Environment, CVRD Inco Smelting Operations e-mailed their annual emissions data going back to 1974, 23 years before Toyota sold their first Prius. Since then, INCO has made a 90% reduction in SO(2) and INCO emissions continue to go down.

Chris failed to check the amount of nickel used in hybrid batteries, about 200 pounds per vehicle or 30 million pounds for 150,000 existing Prius versus the annual Canadian nickel output, over 380 million pounds. Nickel production is driven by the vastly larger market for stainless steel and other high temperature metals.

Failure to fact check is compounded when the flawed CNW Marketing report is cited while the "Institute for Lifecycle Environmental Assessment", http://www.ilea.org/lcas/macleanlave1998.html, from Carnegie Mellon University, reports 73% of the energy used comes from operation, not manufacturing. Only CNW Marketing makes this false claim and compounds the error by using dollars instead of Joules, an energy unit. Those who have read the CNW Marketing report can confirm a large number of false claims including assignment of shorter vehicle lifetimes to hybrids, excessively development costs, false recycling claims, and a claim that hybrids are "a style.' This last lie suggests that if someone had a gas-only Camry and a hybrid Camry, they would drive the gas Camry even with $3/gal gas because the hybrid is "a style."

An opinion piece that states the opposite of the facts and data is deliberately misleading to the point of propaganda. Hybrids aren't for everyone but in this case, Chris failed to fact check and at best, his piece was misleading.

Robert J. Wilson
Sr. Network Engineer
9011 Randall Road
Huntsville, AL 35802
256-961-9391
I received a note from Chris and he plans to go back and do some fact checking. I forwarded the e-mail from Frank to Chris with the PDF attachment showing annual INCO emissions. I also pointed out that I'd over estimated the likely nickel content of a Prius battery and that would further reduce the percentage of nickel used. Finally, I gave him the contact information for Toyota North America, Inc. in New York City so he could ask for official numbers and facts and data.

He is a student writing for a student newspaper. I'm treating this as just another learning exercise . . . an introduction to 'real life.' The real fault lies with his sources:
  • A Daily Mail article - already sent a letter to their editor
  • CNW Marketing's trash report - already sent them e-mail rebuttal
Today, I simply look for such nonsense to show up and with the facts and data, contact the editorial board with a "letter to the editor." My goal is to get everyone back to the facts and data. BTW, I don't bother with anti-hybrid sites or forums . . . 'teaching a pig to sing.'

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-14-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

Just thought it was funny. That's why i posted here in the anything goes area. It was sent to me by a friend who found it after learning I bought an Insight.