Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Gay Marriage

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

So, what do you think of gay marriages and Bush opposing them?

"He has always strongly believed that marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.
I’m not gay, but I don’t think its Bush’s right to impose his beliefs on others. If we’re as free as he says we are, then we should not have to live under his beliefs. His whole sanctity of marriage plan is a big steaming pile of crap.

Old 03-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jumperless@Mar 1st 2004 @ 3:55 PM
So, what do you think of gay marriages and Bush opposing them?
I could be silly and say I don't understand what all the fuss is about. But I am not quite that deaf and blind. Quite.

I had a little discussion with a friend about this very subject this last Saturday. The gist of it was that I have not yet been offered any explanation, other than embarrassment, of how gay marriage materially affects a non-gay relationship or marriage.

My friend, who is religous if you look close enough, made an astounding observation that I kind of agree with. ALL marriages should become "civil unions" and only the church to which any couple is attached may refer to the union as a "marriage". It is not (in our opinions) the realm of the Government to decide what is and is not a marriage.

I find this as refreshing as the idea that in order to consider the flag a suitable representative image of this country, it must be constructed of a non-combustable material.

I consider a constitiutional ammendment to the effect of "defining marriage" an abomination. I usually retort "This doesn't go far enough - we have to define marriage as a union WHITE man and a WHITE woman!" (or Black, etc - take your pick! It works out the same!) - Let's see how many hackles THAT raises!

BTW: The next town north of me is in the news these days - New Paltz NY is performing marriages as well. More power to them. the funny thing is, a mayor of a near-by town who IS gay is rather against it - saying "now is not the time" - go figure.

Jack - Straight, but not Narrow.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Site Founder

What rights are granted in a marriage and not a civil union?

Old 03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey, this was part of the candidate thread. Jason, are you playing forum God?

Anyway, I think marriage is a religious definition, while civil union is a legal definition.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Site Founder

Yes, I am Best to stay on topic. I'm aware that this evolved in to a gay marriage debate, not one of political candidates.

Besides your philosophy, what LEGALLY is the difference?

Old 03-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

None that I know, legally they’re the same.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Site Founder

Then why do talk show hosts, etc. say they are in favor of "civil unions" but not "marriages?"

Old 03-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not entirely sure, I think marriage is originally a religious word, so many have problems with it being used for gay …uh…unions, including gay couples.

Old 03-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

one word...oxymoron...nuff said

Old 03-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

A civil union denies the couple federal rights, including bereavement or sick leave to take care for a partner or a partner's child; pension or social security continuation when a partner dies; the ability to keep a jointly owned home if a partner goes on Medicaid, dies, or becomes sick; joint tax returns and exemptions for primary relationships on estate taxes; veteran's discounts on medical care, education, and home loans; immigration and residency for partners from other countries.

Let them marry. Our country is based on the Constitution, not a Bible.

Quick Reply: Gay Marriage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands