Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.
View Poll Results: Have You Seen The New '10-Wheeler' Big Rigs? (See Story)
Yes
21.05%
No
78.95%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Have You Seen The New '10-Wheeler' Big Rigs? (See Story)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 06:08 AM
Banned
Default Have You Seen The New '10-Wheeler' Big Rigs? (See Story)

Have You Seen The New '10-Wheeler' Big Rigs? (See Story)

MSNBC reports that some 18-wheelers are having their pair of tires in the back replaced with a single, wider tire that saves up to 10% in fuel.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Default Re: Have You Seen The New '10-Wheeler' Big Rigs? (See Story)

Wasn't the point of dual tires to allow one to blow and still be able to safely come to a stop?

Old 01-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Exxon trucks have had this arrangement on the trailer for years. I always thought the doolie arrangement was for weight distribution, not safety (though 2 is safer than 1). The tires on the Exxon trailers cannot be retreaded, from what I've read, but also last a little longer than the older, smaller ones. No retreads = safer, I would think? Dunno. Apparently (from the link) they CAN be retreaded.

Last edited by gonavy; 01-03-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:14 AM
World's First Hybrid

We'll probably see more TT breakdowns and larger pieces of rubber littering the highways in the summer when these big balloons blow from the heat and excessive speed????

These new tires must have incredibly strong/reinforced sidewalls to absorb all those highspeed cornering forces??? All the rigs around these parts exceed the posted limits by at least 20mph, a very unsafe condition with all tires functional IMHO.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Vegetarian

Too bad I didn't read this before driving back to school yesterday, I'd have kept an eye out for them.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

They have been around for some time. Ive seen them on tractors and trailers. Not to mention cement mixers and the like. What they do is save weight in the driveline, then add more to the load. Which means the total weight of the rig over all is the same. Just watch,, you will see them. There are real bouncey. Looks like the driver is fighting them all the way. Good move maybe if they didnt increase the load. LMAO I think they will prove unsafe for the trucker and for the public at large. The hunks left from one of those tires blowing out is unreal. It could total a Civic and disable a 1/2 pickup.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 PM
World's First Hybrid

A while back I saw a van hit a blown truck tire on the highway. Van was driving aggressive (over the limit) and apparently didn't see the tire in time. Ran over it and it lodged under the chassis, driver panicked and locked the brakes, van swerved side to side on 2 wheels with not traction because the tire lifted the van off the roadway and almost flipped. Bet they had to do some laundry when they got home..... One of those new larger tires would definitely do some major damage to any vehicle, as you said.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Have You Seen The New '10-Wheeler' Big Rigs? (See Story)

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Wasn't the point of dual tires to allow one to blow and still be able to safely come to a stop?
Now, there you go using common sense again .

Don