Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Health tip: managing cholesterol

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Health tip: managing cholesterol

Originally Posted by Noz
Beans...I tell you folks...it will do wonders.
I agree. Beans are definitely in the "plus column," foods that are good for you. Lots of fiber and good nutrients, with no bad things.

My doctor recommended oatmeal, as high-fiber foods serve to flush cholesterol directly out of your body. Beans would serve the same purpose, for the same reason.

As you mentioned, beans are cheap.

I've got a bean pot, and will soon be assembling the ingredients to make my home-made baked beans.

Harry

Old 02-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Whoa, Harry & Steve! You guys are giving me a headache! LOL!

I have done a great deal of reseach (mostly personal) on cholestrol. I was driven to this by "accidentally" discovering that my own was over 800, some 30 years ago! This is a genetic flaw, basically an overactive liver. My conclusions:

1) Excercize is the NUMBER ONE most effective method for decreasing LDL & increasing HDL levels. Thirty minutes, three times a week doesn't cut it. I log in nearly 15 hours of aerobic activity, per week. Most people will not make this commitment, and therefore resort to drugs.
2) Diet can improve cholestrol in the bloodstream (by about 5-20%). It is not the first line of defense, except in borderline cases. Most cholestrol is generated by your liver.
3) Trans Fat is not the enemy, unless you have a french fry weakness. Reducing it can't hurt.
4) Drugs should be the very last resort! In my newly detected condition, I was popping Lipitor like it was candy (I didn't know any better). I came very close to requiring a liver transplant (it simply stopped working).
5) Using only excersize, I lowered my levels to under 270. I discovered a natural herb called "Red Yeast Rice," (a Chinese condiment), about 20 years ago. It has a nearly identical molecular composition as Lipitor, but occurs naturally in nature and has no side effects. My doctor has put ALL of his cardiac patients on RYR.

My cholestrol has been under 180 for 20 years. I pretty much eat whatever I desire.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Kraken, it's not your "cholesterol" (LDL) that really matters. It's your HDL, good cholesterol that is the key. Risk factors are figured by total cholesterol over HDL cholesterol.

HDL is absolutely the key. I have doubled my HDL, from 22 to 41 by banning trans fats from my diet. Lipitor does nothing to raise HDL.

It is scientific fact that trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils) raise LDL (bad cholesterol) and lower HDL (good cholesterol). When you understand how risk from cholesterol is figured, you will acknowledge how damaging trans fats are.

There is also proof out there that trans fats do more damage than just ruin cholesterol numbers, including interfering with dilation of arteries, and direct damage to brain function.

Harry

Old 02-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Earthling
Kraken, it's not your "cholesterol" (LDL) that really matters. It's your HDL, good cholesterol that is the key. Risk factors are figured by total cholesterol over HDL cholesterol.

HDL is absolutely the key. I have doubled my HDL, from 22 to 41 by banning trans fats from my diet. Harry
I would refer you to my rule #1. I nearly tripled my HDL with excercize. I don't "ban" anything from my diet. My body pretty much tells me what it wants (or sometimes craves). When I cook, I do seek to use healthy alternatives, when taste does not appreciably suffer.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 1.2 RR can be significant-especially if dose effect present.TROPICAL OILS

Originally Posted by Earthling
I have switched to Smuckers "old fashioned" peanut butter which has all of two ingredients: peanuts and salt. Peanut butter is actually a very healthy product as long as it has no partially hydrogenated oils. The big food giants managed to ruin a healthy product: they took the very healthy peanut oil out and replaced it with partially hydrogenated soybean oil!
And, in some cases, salmonella!

I used to not buy the Smucker's peanut butter because it was much more expensive than the other brands. One day I decided to buy it because my grandmother always ate it. I'll never switch away from Smucker's now! Once, out of curiosity, I tried some of my roommate's JIF. Big disappointment. The Smucker's is so much better (and with a name like Smucker's, it HAS to be good...)

Originally Posted by Noz
Harry,

Try learning how to bake your own...it's VERY VERY easy. You can make the mix in less than ten minutes...add your own ingredients, and you have it. I know it sounds wierd but flavour your cookies with olive oil, not butter...egg whites, not eggs, and season to taste (i.e...low sugar, salt) they come out very chewy, add, almonds, cranberries, blue berries, whatever...

It's so easy to make it's a crime to pay for them believe me....and they are SO MUCH better than store bought stuff.
Ok, we need a base recipe now!

What with the other talk of beans -- I'm going to have to make chili before the weather gets too warm...

Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Enthusiast

Cholesterol is one of the single biggest risk factors for coronary heart disease. Fish and fish oil are full of cholesterol-lowering omega-3 fatty acids. Eat fish two or three times a week.