Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Here's an interesting article

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Site Founder

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,121731,00.html

A jury has ordered Ford Motor Co. (search) to pay nearly $369 million to a woman paralyzed in a rollover accident involving a Ford Explorer, the nation's best-selling sport-utility vehicle.

Old 06-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think the 369 million is excessive.
Althoug this is somewhat different, I've forgotten how much the woman won from McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on herself. Was it also millions?

Old 06-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Site Founder

I think that one is zilch? Just like the "fat people" suit.
369 is excessive. Agreed. Not that I'm downplaying the importance of mobility But, my father is a doctor and here in Florida we've got the malpractice crisis with insurance companies. Try having a baby if you live in Miami. You can either drive to Georgia or swim to Cuba.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___This is unadulterated rape of a domestic manufacturer’s ability to make a profit in today’s tough automobile business climate. Sure Ford could have made the track wider and lowered the center of gravity … I guess it wouldn’t be an SUV then, would it? Maybe Ford should sue the lady for purchasing an Explorer when she should have purchased a Taurus instead.

___What if the lady was in a Sequoia or 4-Runner? A Durango? A Tahoe or Trailblazer? An X5 or XC90 when she flipped over? Sue whoever at what ever cost, that is the answer … No wonder all of our jobs and markets are headed over seas.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I'm split down the middle on this one. Part of me thinks well duh, a tall vehicle is gonna tip before a low riding one will and if you are worried about tipping over buy a car not an SUV.

The other part hopes that the car makers get 1000 more of these lawsuits and put out a 4x4 that isn't jacked up. Almost no one takes their fancy SUV's off road so why do they need to be jacked up? I've got a Ford 4x4 pickup that is all bouncy-jouncy cause it has a factory "lift kit". I have no use for the extra hight but you can't buy a 4x4 from Ford without a stinkin lift kit! Why can I not buy a 4x4 that is the same height as the 2wd version?