Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

How do you deal with treehugging hippie comments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Living in a near EPA free Indiana and being a Camaro enthusiast, I see a ton of anti-environmentalists and have to deal with these lame comments all the time. Sometimes I just don't know how to defend myself other than to just shrug it off. How do you guys deal with these stereotypical people?

Old 01-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Site Founder

Since they're likely partial to gas-gulping speed machines, tell them about the powerful hybrids coming out. Tell them about the Accord Hybrid that just happens to be more powerful than its nonhybrid counterpart.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:31 AM

This is why I think honda made a wise decision to put hybrid engines in standard models like civic and accord. When they sneek them in like that people don't realy equate it to anything radical like "tree huggers." At least I've never gotten any treehugging comments. People are like "How does it work" not "Are you some hippie treehugger?" Though I suspect insight owners may get some of those comments.

Its kind of nice though that the industry took a two pronged approach. Honda with their non radical don't scare the masses approach, and Toyota with their Hybrid is High-Tech approach.

I know there are now other players but I believe these two companies are the ones realy pushing the technology and the other manufacturers are just trying not to be left behind.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't actually get any comments.. The Honda Civic Hybrid is so common where I am that no one really notices.. Either that or they just assume it's a regular Civic.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast

Honestly, I'm able to shrug them off pretty effectively. While I'm concerned with the environment, I'm afraid I come in somewhere short of bull-blown "tree-hugger" status. The hybrid movement interests me mostly because of the gas mileage improvement, and because of the "geek toys" available on my Prius. Hybrid system or not, it's a great vehicle based on the features involved.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

if that ever happened to me... i'd probably look at them in a "what the hell are you talking about?" kind of way and then come back at them with a jeering comment. something like "you're ridiculous" might work.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I'd ask em if they wanted to race and meet em later in the Vette!

Someday in the future it might be legal to shoot non-enviromentalists.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lakedude
I'd ask em if they wanted to race and meet em later in the Vette!

Someday in the future it might be legal to shoot non-enviromentalists.
I'd try that one, but most of these guys I know alreaddy have cars that could smuther the Z

It still annoys me though that there are so many people like this. Its like you're part of the 'bad guys' for caring how much gas milage your car gets or being annoyed with the SUV craze and now this completely absurd HP war (which I actually can't help but love, but hate it at the same time because gas milage is just an afterthought). How can consumers still accept vehicles that only get 18 MPG is beyond me. You're telling me 21st century technology can only get 10 MPG better than equal cars from the 60's and no better than cars 2 decades ago? Any time I start talking about this with coworkers or friends or even strangers, they just think of me as some dull brained twit activist belonging to a group of insane treehuggers...I just don't get it...

Old 03-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Struggler at large

I usually come back with, "You say that like its a bad thing" and then ask "are you feeling alright? It looks like your neck is getting a little red." I haven't had anyone get too upset over that. Besides, if you can't take it, you shouldn't dish it out, right?

Old 03-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

- "If we kill our eco-system, We kill ourselves." After all we live in the very thing where polluting!

- "Renewable energy, Sustainable Peace." If where not using the oil there will be less fighting over it.

Last edited by mppkll; 03-16-2005 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Grammer

Quick Reply: How do you deal with treehugging hippie comments?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands