Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Hybrid Emblems on Non-hybrid vehicles.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Struggler at large
Default Hybrid Emblems on Non-hybrid vehicles.

This really bugs me. I have now seen 4 Ford trucks (two Rangers and two F150s, all oldish) with the Hybrid leaf right beside the FORD emblem on their tail gates. Why? is my question. Do they think that people will think their trucks are hybrids? Perhaps they just like the look of the leafy emblem? I know this sort of thing plagues the Hondas with all these guys putting "Type R" or "VTEC" on their cars when they are neither. I just don't get it. Has anyone else seen this? I certainly hope they aren't stealing emblems off of actual hybrids!

Old 04-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Emblems on Non-hybrid vehicles.

Maybe it's just an alternate fuel vehicle, natural gas conversion or something.

I recall seeing the same emblem on another type of Ford, maybe a Taurus.

Does it say "Hybrid" or is it just the green leaf emblem?

Regards,

Old 04-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Struggler at large

Three of the four were just the green leaves. Both the Rangers and 1 of the F150s. One Ranger was pretty old, so I doubt it was an alternative fuel vehicle. The other was a stepside and still had the XLT badging under the word Ranger on the fender in front of the door. One of the F150s actually had the entire thing (leaf and the word HYBRID). The funny thing is it looked like about an late 80s truck. With the sunken in square head lamps and the bad primer coat that plagued that generation which caused the paint to flake off.

I guess its *possible* that they had been converted or something, but I seriously doubt it.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

This has been a problem in areas where there are benefits to owning hybrids. For example, in some locations, hybrid vehicles are allowed to park for free, or allowed in HOV lanes.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When we eventually get to drive in HOV lanes in California we have to apply for a sticker that goes on our license plate.
This is per our DMV website.

Stealing Hybrid the thingies will do no good.

Last edited by kenny; 04-15-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Unfortunately, there are idiots out there who don't know that. They're still stealing the emblems in areas that require specific stickers/permits to take advantage of the hybrid perks.

Old 04-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Hypermiler

The leaf on Ford products does indeed mean it can be used as an alternative fuel vehicle. Rangers and Taurus' are the most prominent vehicles you'll see with the leaf badge. It has nothing to do with hybrid technology.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast

Additionally to JeffKinTN post, they've been using those leaf symbols on vehicles since the mid to late 90's.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Struggler at large

Interesting. I guess I just never noticed before.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

ALL ford alt fuel vehciles had the green leaf.

I have a 2003 F-150 Bi-Fuel CNG with the leaf at work and we also have some Ethanol contours and tuari with it as will (of course ethanol is a joke west of the rockies since you can't actually buy it, but so be it). The propane f-150s have the logo too. The rangers are either ethanol or pure electric (Ranger Evs). In addition Ford built a bunch of EV postal trucks too which have the logo.

Chris Brown

Oh yeah there's the CNG Crown Vics too, dedicated CNG only.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hybrid Emblems on Non-hybrid vehicles.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands