Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

hybrid vs. non hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast
Question hybrid vs. non hybrid

well i am interested in purchasing a honda civic ex or hybrid. I have heard through many on-line sources that a hybrid is more expensive to own than a non hybrid (insurance, cost of car, and repairs).

i want to know from you hybrid users is your insurance higher now that you own a hybrid?

has anyone ever had to get expensive repairs to the battery, electric motor or other hybrid parts. Sure i can pay for it but i would much rather not have the hassle other than standard car repairs.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: hybrid vs. non hybrid

A Hybrid is more expensive and if cost is your only motivation you should not get a hybrid (based on cost alone) unless you think gas prices are going way up or unless you drive a lot. If cost is the main issue get you a Hyundai or something

That said there are offsetting factors like tax credits and long warranties on the hybrid parts of the car. The warranty in the "green" states is nothing short of fantastic. Repair costs are not going to be coming out of your pocket for at least 7 years reguardless.

My Insurance is about $100 a month for a 2005 HCH.

Are you buying new?
How long to you plan to keep the car?
Do you live in a green state?
How far do you drive in a day or year?
What do you expect gas prices to do?
What do you drive now and what is the insurance cost on it?
Do you care about being more green even if you break even or lose a little money on costs?
Do you like fancy technology or does it scare you?

I love my hybrid but if cost was the only issue I'd be driving an Elantra.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by soundofcoins
. . .
i want to know from you hybrid users is your insurance higher now that you own a hybrid?
. . .
I switched to Travellers and got a 10% hybrid discount. There are lower rate companies but not enough. I also got an insurance discount on my home owner's insurance.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by soundofcoins
well i am interested in purchasing a honda civic ex or hybrid. I have heard through many on-line sources that a hybrid is more expensive to own than a non hybrid (insurance, cost of car, and repairs).

has anyone ever had to get expensive repairs to the battery, electric motor or other hybrid parts. Sure i can pay for it but i would much rather not have the hassle other than standard car repairs.
Specifically, what are you looking for? Planning to keep the car more than five years or 100,000 miles? If you plan to do much driving, it's likely you will recoup the costs, not to mention rebates and lower repairs.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast

Are you buying new? id like to buy a fairly new car 2004 to present
How long to you plan to keep the car?i plan to keep it at least till 5 or 6 years i will be giving it to my younger brother in about 3
Do you live in a green state? im not quite sure if i do (i live in North carolina)
How far do you drive in a day or year? 60+ miles at the most 80
What do you expect gas prices to do? i think that gas prices will increase over the next few months and will fall lower than the present prices in winter but then prices will gradually get around 20 cents higher than now in febuary.
What do you drive now and what is the insurance cost on it? i drive a 98 explorer insurance is not too high but normal
Do you care about being more green even if you break even or lose a little money on costs? i would like to be more green but not lose too much
Do you like fancy technology or does it scare you?
yes i do

i think that answers all the stated questions.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Banned

I'd expect you to recoup the "hybrid premium" in 3-5 years, since prices will get higher, and the repair bills will be less.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I did not notice any insurance hikes owning a hybrid. I probably would not buy a used (100k miles or more) hybrid unless you factor the cost of a battery replacement. If it's fairly new, then you are safe. I would avoid buying a manual transmission version and stick with the CVT version.

I guess it all depends on the deal you get with both cars, but if everything is equal, I would go non-hybrid.