Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.
View Poll Results: The Leading Reason Huge Trucks/SUVs are Purchased.....
They are seriously going to use it's hauling capacity
6.25%
They are frequently going to carry a lot of passengers
3.13%
"Keeping up With the Jones"
18.75%
To Feel Safe in a Crash
21.88%
They Need a Business Vehicle and a Car Won't Cut it
0%
It Affirms Their Manhood
9.38%
To Feel Powerful (but not a Manhood issue)
9.38%
It's Somehow Patriotic
0%
"Everybody Has One"
15.63%
Other
12.50%
Going to do occasional off-roading
3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

The Leading Reason Huge Trucks/SUVs are Purchased.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Banned
Default The Leading Reason Huge Trucks/SUVs are Purchased.....

The Leading Reason Huge Trucks/SUVs are Purchased..... (pick only the leading reason)

Huge: over 5-liter engine, Ford F250 pickup, Dodge Ram pickup, Suburban, Hummer, Tahoe, SUVs that seat 8....

Rats! - I did not list "Going to do occasional off-roading"

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 09-07-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Banned
Default Re: The Leading Reason Huge Trucks/SUVs are Purchased.....

I have to confess that it's hard to fairly do a poll on something you have strong feelings about. Still trying to be fair, what questions did I leave out or should have worded differently?

The people that know me would expect me to pick #6 (Validates Manhood). These types offend me the most, but realize most SUV/Truck drivers are less Nethandral and probably have different reasons.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast

Could you define "Huge"? I think actually asking us to vote on an EPA-classified category would be less-biased and more informative.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Huge: over 5-liter engine, Ford F250 pickup, Dodge Ram pickup, Suburban, Hummer, Tahoe, SUVs that seat 8....
It's not precise in a legal sense, but I think it clearly excludes the Ford Escape, small SUV's, and compact pickups.

Hope that helps....

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 09-07-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'd call "huge" as anything bigger then the Explorer/Blazer chasis (aka Ranger/S10) type. Probably including them, since they (esp. the Explorer) almost singlehandedly pulled the category out of its niche from the 80s. They are also usually the cutoff vehicles for EPA 20mpg hwy.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

I picked the everyone-has-one category.

BEGIN RANT. No offense toward original poster..... I'm have the feeling that this is yet another thread full of contempt for other people and their choices in the free market.

Speaking as a Libertarian, I don't really feel like it's anyone's right to decide whether or not someone is making a good choice or a bad choice regardless of their reason for the choice.

Let's frame it in a hybrid context. Perhaps some Insight owners would like to post something like:

What's the Real Reason that People Purchase an HCH or Prius?

1. They're really going to haul around 5 people
2. They really need all of that trunk room
3. They enjoy polluting the environment more than necessary
4. Afraid of individuality

Etc, etc. Perhaps you get my point, perhaps not. But, really - what's the difference between an Insight driver and an H2 driver? Both walked onto a car lot and completed a perfectly legal transaction and walked away happy for different reasons.

This forum is meant to be a fun and informative way to learn more about hybrids and to try to spread the word. Yet, when non-hybrid owners come here and start actually reading these posts it's more like some snooty club where everyone stands around patting themselves on the back for the "positive impact" they're having on the environment.

What's better for the environment? An H2 soccer mom that drives to-and-from school functions and runs some errands to the tune of 100 miles a week? Or a hybrid driver that drives 150 miles each way to their job, to the tune of 750 miles a week, then pats themselves on the back for caring about the environment?

Hmmm......

Old 09-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dfgf
BEGIN RANT. No offense toward original poster..... I'm have the feeling that this is yet another thread full of contempt for other people and their choices in the free market....
I'm happy you did not intend to offend.

SUVs (in numbers at least) did not exist until about twenty years ago, yet so many people seem to act like they are necessary even with $3 gas. I started the poll because I honestly don't understand why so many want them - hence the poll. Yes, my bias showed, but at least I asked.

On an earlier question, I think "Huge SUV" had been qualified to exclude your Element. The Element is a step in the right direction, BTW.

Devil's Advocate on never passing judgement:
  • Neighbors that have 2-feet tall weeds should be left alone as it's their choice. Never mind what it does to the value of my home.
  • Two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese - doctors should not tell them their choice is is shorening their lifespan and increasing my taxes/medical insurance?
I don't feel superior having a hybrid, although getting one was a good decision.

The suggestion of an Insight owner starting a poll aimed at the "wasteful HCH and Prius" seems a bit bizzare as their FE is nearly as good and a better choice if carrying more than two passengers.

I don't think you are going to find too many people here that have 150-mile round trips in their hybrid - that's over two hours at day!

Reading your arguements, it seems move emotional than rational - sorry.

Again, it might sound strange I started this poll because I don't understand the mindset of the huge SUV purchaser. My poll choices while biased, were not intended to bash. IF I only wanted to bash, why pretend to ask?

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 09-07-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast

If we can agree I was 51% emotional and 49% rational, I'll take it!

Old 09-08-2005, 04:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

'keeping up w/ the Jones' and 'everybody has one' are sort of the same thing...?

Old 09-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Banned
Default Maybe a 2nd Go Would be Better...

Consolidating "Keeping Up With the Jones" and the 1st two questions might improve the poll. About 3-4 answered "Other" - what new choice would be better than "Other"?

Quick Reply: The Leading Reason Huge Trucks/SUVs are Purchased.....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands