Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

"nappy-headed hos"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default "nappy-headed hos"

I'm no fan of Imus, so I don't really listen to him but I'm forced to hear about him because the media is making this such a big deal... so I won't cry if he gets fired or removed off the air but I'll be a disappointed by the reason given.

Can somebody please explain to me how Imus's statement is racist? Is it because the term nappy is exclusive to one race and coming from another race it's considered racist? Or is it hos? And is that exclusive to one race as well? Or is it the combination?

I would agree that his statement was offensive, no doubt, even sexist to some degree but the context of how it was said makes me think he was venting fustration at worst.

Ok... so let's try to keep it somewhat civil.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned
Default Re: "nappy-headed hos"

Originally Posted by livvie
Can somebody please explain to me how Imus's statement is racist?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18042523/from/RS.3/

I don't think this is a First Amendment issue but a civility issue. Neighbors, friends, family members, employers have the right to part with you if you are rude and crude enough. I don't think it's OK for rappers to use the same kind of language either. Just don't care for shock jocks and other gutter level entertainment.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 AM

To me, a non-racist white man age 43:

The comment was about 60% "gutter talk" and about 20% racist and about 20% sexist.

Calling anyone a "***** who needs to comb her hair" is just flat-out classless and belongs in the lowest form of gutter language.

"Nappy-headed" is usually associated with people with kinky hair like african americans or of Caribbean descent who might have a problem with the hair getting matted and mishapen. It has to be stretched out and arranged before it will look presentable. When someone calls you a nappy head it means your hair is matted and uncombed. Combine that with the fact that the girls on the Rutgers team are black, and that's the racist part.

A "ho" is a slang term for a *****. As you can see, this is not a nice thing to say to a girl. That's the sexist part.

Should he be fired? Probably not. His job is in part to comment on social issues. In today's world, if you just put a robot up there at the mike who never offends anyone, who will listen?

He was out of line to air this comment and should have kept it in the employee break room with his other "like-minded" buddies. So a suspension and maybe a loss of pay is suitable punishment I think.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Can't remember now if it was the Daily Show or Corbert but I saw video of the studio where Imus and Sharpton were in the radio booth and Imus says paraphrasing "I can't get anywhere with you people" and Sharpton bristles big time and return "what do you mean by YOU PEOPLE" to which Imus calmly replied "you and the other woman in this conversation" a women caller that was apparently not accepting Imus's responses. It seemed clear Imus wasn't trying to use "you people" for any other reason, but Sharpton seemed out for blood.

If it wasn't for comedy central where would I get my news that matters.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 AM

I can't say I ever heard the term "nappy-headed" before this blow-out.

Imus is or was on TV but I never watched him. He's made a living out of running his mouth, and now seems about to be out of a job. Oh, well. He looks old enough to retire, and he probably has way more money than he knows what to do with.

He's made out like a bandit, and should go back to his ranch in New Mexico, or wherever he is from. He's got the cowboy hats, now he should use them for what they were meant for: keeping the sun off in the great outdoors.

Harry

Old 04-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Don Imus
My goal is to goad people into saying something that ruins their life
How Ironic!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:37 AM

It just kills me that Al Sharpton of all people has anything to say in this matter. I consider him one of the most racist people of all time. Just listen to his comments on the guys charged with rape from Duke.

As for the Rutger's basketball team, I don't believe all members are black (yes, black is beutiful).

Last edited by livvie; 04-12-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18042523/from/RS.3/

I don't think this is a First Amendment issue but a civility issue. Neighbors, friends, family members, employers have the right to part with you if you are rude and crude enough. I don't think it's OK for rappers to use the same kind of language either. Just don't care for shock jocks and other gutter level entertainment.

I agree that's why there is an off button (or change station).

Old 04-12-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
It just kills me that Al Sharpton of all people has anything to say in this matter. I consider him one of the most racist people of all time. Just listen to his comments on the guys charged with rape from Duke.

As for the Rutger's basketball team, I don't believe all members are black (yes, black is beutiful).
Race relations certainly won't improve with Sharpton as the mediator.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:16 PM

Can't believe he got fired. Wow. Too funny.