Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Portable Audio Devices

Old 08-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

yeah, ipods are pretty darn expensive....
i was looking at the sony HiMD's though, they could be an alternative

Old 08-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

I have both MD player and iPod. I like the MD player a little better eventhough it is really old and only holds 80 mins per MD. The nice thing is that it has a battery you can take out and the discs are disposable as well. Sometimes the iPod freaks out on me because I press the buttons too fast or because I shake it. That is a little scarry - b/c it only has that one HD and when it goes - so does the 350 bucks. Also the battery is supposed to be good for only a year or so - then you have to pay 99 bucks to get it replaced.

Anyways - sony will be coming out with an iPod clone soon - I would go with that - probably cheaper and better quality - Sony makes good stuff.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Site Founder

The problem with MDs are twofold... first, they have moving parts. Secondly, they limit the shape designs of the player.

Sony is alright, but I do get slightly annoyed that they always seem to have their own non-industry-standard formats.

*splitting thread*

Old 08-31-2004, 12:48 AM
Enthusiast

iPod for me...Only wish I could have access to ausio ports instead of using an FM transmitter....As far as expense goes, MD just seems to hold music, right??? the iPod on the other hand hold so much more...I can transfer files....Hold Address and contacts..play games...record notes (iTalk)...Calendar and still listen to music....worth the money though....Oh, Plus you look great with it!...Little vanity doesn't kill, eh?