Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Which presidential candidate do you support?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 02:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, a bunch of ECHOfans members were surprised to learn that too. I guess there aren’t too many female IT Professionals that are also auto enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Site Founder

Eh... The Echo will be no more by next year. That'll show them

Old 02-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jason@Feb 18th 2004 @ 4:36 PM
And what if in a given election, it comes down to one vote? Are you still throwing darts?
If there is only one vote (a vote for one person, as opposed to one vote per person), then I deny that it is an "election". At least, not one as I understand it.

However, you could also qualify it as throwing darts at an exceptionally large target and being assured of hitting the same as all other "voters"....

To my understanding, "voting" implies by nature "choice" of two or more. Non-choice can be illustrated by older Iraq "elections" where Hussein ran "unopposed" and recieved all of the "vote" - I think we would probably agree that that is not our concept of "election to power".

A common sentiment with the upcoming national election is a "vote against Bush" - I abhorr that principle, but find that that is precisely what my reaction is and what I will be facing when I vote - something I logically find distasteful.

Regardless of other parties, the choice comes down logically to two - Rep or Dem. Bush or whoever wins on the Dem side (my bet is Kerry at the moment, unless they find he has killed someone in the recent past! :blink: ). So our "choice" comes down to Bush or Kerry.

It is widely regarded that Nader (for the most part) kept Gore from being the clear winner 3.5 years ago - whether that is a good or bad thing I will not debate, but that is why the choice logically comes down to two for those such as myself and Jumperless' fiance - not a vote for, but more a vote against. A vote against that spreads beyond the primary two dilutes the probability of the success of the assumption of a vote against - on either side.

I have no idea what I am voting FOR. But I feel I am more aware of what I am voting AGAINST. I recognise that this is NOT a legitmate way to vote so in general and in practice, I do not vote. It is a VERY conscious decision!

Frankly, I used to say "I will not vote until there is an item on the balot which reads "Abolish the Position"!

Hey - if nothing else, maybe this thread will generate more traffic on the site!

Jack

Old 02-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jason@Feb 20th 2004 @ 4:53 PM
Jumperless, you're female!
That COULD be a very poor assumption, giving the activity curently out in San Fran...

(OK - I know she has already owned up, but hey - I couldn't resist!)

Jack

Old 02-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Site Founder

Jack,

In that case, I'd assume she takes the female's role

Old 02-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Site Founder

Jack,

One of your posts temporarily broke the RSS feed. Thanks

Old 02-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

%100 bush
%75 edwards
%72 kerry

thats all i need to post...man, and that reminded me of one thing...the no child left behind program...what a load of BS...

Old 02-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Site Founder

Steve,

The main problem apparently is that it's not funded well. Edwards said that's the one regret he has -- voting for that bill.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

do yall get the effects of it there...basically what its doing here is lowering the education of all those that are doing well....

Old 02-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Site Founder

I honestly don't understand the program at all. All talk of it has been extremely vague: "Help those in need... give an education to all." I haven't heard any specifics. Bureaucracy...

Quick Reply: Which presidential candidate do you support?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands