Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Which presidential candidate do you support?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jason@Feb 20th 2004 @ 6:19 PM
Jack,

One of your posts temporarily broke the RSS feed. Thanks
Only one?? I obviously have to try harder!

All in the name of robustly testing your software, of course!

Jack

Old 02-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Site Founder

Jack,

I didn't write the RSS feed... I just use it. I wouldn't know how to fix it, anyway

Actually, I'm the only one who actually USES the feeds. I have the statistics. Almost makes me wonder why I bothered to set it up...

Old 02-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast

Hrm, I'm guessing I'm about to reach new heights in popularity on a BBS

I'm for Bush 100% (and at the aforementioned site all the other candidates were 43% or lower, Joe Lieberman being the 43%).

I'm absolutely opposed to regulatory and tax burdens being applied in an attempt to skew the economy into buying green (or any other type) of cars.

Technology should advance until free choice makes green and fun and useful synonymous for everyone, not until tax after tax hikes gas prices up to $5 or government imposes a MPG standard or regulations make SUVs illegal.

The first generation of hybrids were not massively popular because they simply don't add up costwise. People can do the math... roughly, a $20k Insight gets about 30mpg more than a $13k Civic; at $1.70 a gallon and 15000 miles a year it takes over 25 years to make up the difference, long after both cars have rusted/oxidized.

The next generation is combining comfort with MPG (new Prius, Civic Hybrid); next up is performance and MPG. These are still speciality niches, but larger and larger inroads into the general populace. By this time next decade with no government intervention at all hybrids will be commonplace because they will be quick, efficient, comfortable AND affordable.

(Side note: the hybrid I want is an Insight power train shoehorned into a Caterham 7).

OTOH if we use the big club of government to shove everything around we can end up with nothing that works and auto lobbyists preserving the status quo with wierd loopholes. The entire SUV phenomenon has its roots in a dodge of the CAFE standards; people wanted large vehicles but if it was called 'car' it had to play by one set of rules, so people went over to 'truck' where those rules didn't apply. If carmakers weren't catering to an arbitrary series of rules people would be driving more efficient cars rather than monstrosities just to get the amenities they wanted in the first place.

That's one of the many reasons I oppose liberals like Kerry or Edwards who would like to 'manage' the economy with regulation and tax (namely, the one that has most relevance to the hybrid issue).

Old 02-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Site Founder

Originally posted by No.6@Feb 23rd 2004 @ 4:34 PM
Actually, seeing as though hybrids are green, I'd have to assume an overwhelming Democrat majority until the technology becomes commonplace.

Anyway, I do believe that taxes ought to be imposed to regulate the economy. Neither the general population nor corporate America will ever yeild to their own health or benefit. Purchases are based solely on the selfish desires of the consumer.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jason@Feb 23rd 2004 @ 2:44 PM
Jack,

I didn't write the RSS feed... I just use it. I wouldn't know how to fix it, anyway

Actually, I'm the only one who actually USES the feeds. I have the statistics. Almost makes me wonder why I bothered to set it up...
I would really like to use the RSS feed - and hope to some day soon - if I ever get around to it.

Do you know why the feed broke? Was it post size? (I am trying to breach noew ground on your board there - and it appears as if No. 6 is helping me out there! )

You are going to definately get me into RSS feeds - someday!

Jack

Old 02-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Site Founder

Jack,

I use the RSS Reader for Mozilla FireFox. It's a small sidebar in the browser. Works great.

Not sure what broke it. I suppose I could have hunted it down, but was too lazy. If it happens again, I'll take a look.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by No.6@Feb 23rd 2004 @ 4:34 PM
There have been worse!

I think I agree with some of what you say here. I am against much in the way of "manipulation" (another reason I don't - usually - vote!) - but you know, it is done by EVERYONE in any form of "government" - heck, that is kind of what the term itself means. No manipulation = no government. Hey - I am all for that!

Or am I? No government (no manipulation) also means no standards, no control, no protection.... See - most of this stuff sounds good on the surface but really ins't thought out.

No taxes on fuel = no roads. Or no non-toll roads anyway. Or no maintenance on the ones we have.

No ADDITIONAL taxes on fuel (hmm - do you REALLY think that fuel is not in any way subsidised somwehere along the line?) mean no "incentive" to develop cleaner cars - until we get in some serious fuel crunch, manufactured or not.

I am not FOR Kerry, or any of the other halfway serious contenders, but I am most definately AGAINST Bush - and that is NOT the way to vote for anything. Not only for his energy policies, but for many, many other reasons.

I am curious as to why you would be more interested in the Insight drivetrain (not really significantly different from a "normal" drivetrain, really) over something like the Prius system. Interesting (whether in the Caterham or otherwise!).

Jack

Old 02-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jason@Feb 18th 2004 @ 4:07 PM
Jack,

You don't believe in voting? You and I would have some serious issues if we spoke in person

Why not???
Reprise!

Jason

I was talking to a friend who voted for Bush last election. He said "I will have to sit this one out". His point, he does NOT want to vote for Bush this time (at least he is thinking there), but, like me usually, he can't face voting for any of the opposition either.

Is this any different from my normal standpoint? Recognising that I am doing the "wrong" thing by "voting against" Bush, does it make it better that at least, I am voting? Should he vote for Bush simply because someone tells him to? Should he vote for one of the others just because he doesn't want to vote for Bush? Should he write in his own name, or Micky Mouse or whatever instead - which, to my mind is the equivalent of not voting - I understand they aren't even counted.

Isn't not voting (consientiously) a valid form or protest against those presented to choose against?

Jack

Old 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast

JackC, I don't recall anyone calling for no government (anarchy).

My point is that a free( r ) market is best able to respond to the conditions of the world, whether those are pollutant-related, supply-related, or customer demand-related.

The usual Democrat thought about the market is that 'rich guys' control everything and have no thought for the public good, but the market is the most democratic thing around. Everyone buys what they want, and really the big cheeses have little choice but to produce what's in demand.

Where a need exists but some monolithic company is unable to respond, a smaller company rises to the occasion.

By contrast a managed economy is actually controlled by the 535 Congresscritters and the Administration, all of whom live in D.C.. I have yet to hear any theory or evidence supporting the idea that these 535 people, usually lawyers, are so enlightened that they know the best course to take and all the implications of their actions.

As for energy policy, you'll have to be specific before I agree or disagree. I dispute many of the claims the green lobby makes about W's plans.

Well I'm in it now, what did you expect when ya named the board "Confrontation?"

P.S. No preference for Insight vs. Prius powertrains per se, only what fits in the small space of the 7.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Site Founder

Jack,

I, personally, do not find it acceptable to waive the right to vote because you cannot make up your mind. As a relatively educated person (even while still in high school), I do not trust the rest of the country to make decisions for me. Frankly, I find the shallowness, immorality, and religious dogma (no offense to anyone religious) enough to desire my own vote and my own voice. I am a believer that one should not criticize the system if he made no effort to reform the system.

As for the way our government is comprised, there are obvious problems with the system. Between financial backings and the whole lot, there is much to be desired. However, it is not wise to be so condescending to those with a respectful position. No. 2, there is nothing wrong with Lawyers. I'm sure you'll agree when you need them most. You say congressmen cannot possibly know what's best -- what is your alternative?

It's not perfect, but it's the best there is.

Quick Reply: Which presidential candidate do you support?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands