Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Presidential Youth Inaugural Conference: In Perspective

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Site Founder
Default Presidential Youth Inaugural Conference: In Perspective

This past week I had the opportunity of attending the Presidential Youth Inaugural Conference. I can't describe it in a sentence, so here's the perspective I just spent an hour and a half writing to share with the attendees. It's littered with inside jokes and adolescent humor. It's also almost three pages long, so feel free to forgo this experience. I just though it is something I need to share. Events like this warrant a period of reflection, and for me they're always long ones. And a bit overly sentimental. So sue me.

It's 5:27 PM the day after PYIC ended. I haven't been able to think about anything else. Members of the Johnson group quickly split off and left. Often with a brief hug or nothing at all, I was off to the airport with Trey on the bus. We met up with Emily, Marley and John for lunch, as well as Saralynn who sat with me right until I boarded. Then, I was off and out [sleeping] for two hours. I hit the sack for 13 hours that night and then woke up to develop my pictures. What a week.

Initially, I was in doubt. GYLC (Global) was six months ago and it was increasingly impossible to keep in contact with the people I met... especially because they all live in different countries. But, the experience I had there was life-changing and I didn't think this could compare (forget NYLC. I lost contact after a month). I knew the drill after the two programs. You meet some people on the bus and rarely see them again -- so don't get too attached. You meet your PGM, who at first you look at cynically and then, as if it's out of your control, quickly begin to love. As for the quality of that group, it's up to luck and fate (the latter of which I don't actually believe in).

Well, we got lucky.

How can I describe them? They're my type of people. We're intelligent, motivated, leaders, eccentric, passionate, COMpassionate, eager and friendly (well, most of us most of those, anyway!). We weren't afraid to look stupid (read: the 3 moves you should NEVER do at the ridiculously high-security inauguration unless you'd like to see a bright white tunnel very soon). We aren't afraid to crack jokes or voice concern for the others, though we knew each other for mere days. I don't know about everywhere else, but people around here just aren't like that. Not where I live.

Where do I start? This is hard. The whole week has been a blur, but a good blur. Kind of like when you wake up from a dream and you aren't sure exactly what happened but you still know what you felt. You know if it was scary or exhilarating or lugubrious. Well, that's the feeling. So, pardon me while I breeze over the memories that are coming up right now and I'll fill you in later (for months to come) as I remember other things.

John, Zac, David - Could I have asked for better roommates? I surely could have asked for worse. I could have asked for the ones right next door who, overcome with maturity, chucked soap at passers-by, offered previously-digested pizza to the hallmates, had rock concerts at 3AM and got lots of practice prank calling (though, ironically, never got any better at it). John, I forget, did our toilet flush clockwise or counterclockwise? Oh, that's right. It just sucks straight down.

Tim - Glad to be your campaign manager. Too bad you didn't win, because you had the right stuff. We all believed in you. Even with that macho cowboy hat. I think you had some fans amongst the other groups.

Alyssa - What's up? 'Nuff said about THAT. It was great getting to know you, which is quite a feat considering you weren't in our PGM. I say we can beat the odds again and keep in touch for a long while. Just don't count on me coming up to Pennsylvania for vacation any time soon. Rarely do I go up into them fuh-reezing places.

Joey - No more baby steps. As of today you have the solemn duty and honorable title of Conversation Starter. You're a real nice girl and, while mysterious, have a great [similar] sense of humor. We need to make a point of finding out who the chef is at the 4-H Center to see if he really is a seasoned professional with two years of rigorous training in Italy. Should we find in the affirmative, well, fill in the blank. We can laugh... real hard. And, if you want, we can even point and laugh at the same time. I'm glad you live near Houston for the time being. Of everyone, I have a pretty good chance of seeing you again. I look forward to it.

Emily & Taryn - Are you surprised I grouped you together? You two really were inseparable, and perhaps to my disadvantage. I never got to know either of you that well, but from what I know you both were buckets of fun. Did you ever frown?

Marley - Rumor has it you have supernatural powers. I just let out the gossip, forgive me! But, it stems from a good thing. Your eyes are your most powerful feature; if you're headed for Hollywood, keep that in mind. You're a genuine great girl. Follow your dreams -- they're big. And, if by a sliver of a chance you DO have supernatural powers, make sure we don't lose touch.

Ellen - I really wish I was able to know you a bit more, but we still have a long time. It's ironic that the time I spoke to you most, you had lost your voice. I'll take what I can get, then and now.

Tortorice - You were really an excellent advisor. I doubt many of the others had the same zeal, stamina and knowledge that allowed you to make it such a memorable experience for us, and I hope it was a great one for you, as well. You're right in that high school kids are finding their direction in life, not middle school kids. Make sure you're an influence in that direction.

Saralynn - I have a feeling we'll be talking up a storm in the near future. I may need to go buy a TXT'n plan real quick before you rack up my cell bill. And, that's fine. Be my guest. Let it be known that we have an unfinished air hockey tournament and [curse that advisor] we will finish it if I have to fly over to Louisiana to play the last game. Perhaps subconsciously (or not) I did my best to make sure we'd be tied up so we could bump it up best of 3, then 5, then 7. Had we had more time, I guarantee we'd be playing best 5 of 9. I'm not sure if I regret looking at the pictures on your cellphone or not. I don't know if it saved me from looking stupid. Oh, well. That last note meant a lot and I'll be keeping it with my stash of things that just won't be thrown away. Yes, I'm one of THOSE pathetic little souls. Take care.

To those I didn't address individually, you too helped make this a great experience. Trust me, there are plenty of people I haven't yet mentioned for a myriad of reasons... most notably that this monologue could hit the record books. Thank you everyone, for everything.

As I said in our last discussion on the last day, it's the people, not the events and places, that are most important. Right now I don't care about Jeb Bush's disposable camera or the president's speech or the fireworks we missed (sort of) during the opening ceremonies. We are the leaders of today and tomorrow. We'll have our own $9.97 to spend, our own historic speeches to make and fireworks with which to honor us.

As my plane lifted off bound for Orlando, a time when I'm usually a bit nervous, I told myself that I had just met a group of citizens who would soon make a difference in the world Should something happen to me on that flight, I had confidence in their ability to make that difference without me. And I wasn't nervous. I hope you take that to heart.

Margaret Mead (whoever that is (is she someone I should know?)) said something that I'd like to share with you now. It's 7:08 PM the day after PYIC ended. I don't want the magic to wear off.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Good morning. Good afternoon. Good night. There will be no goodbye.