Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

which route would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default which route would you choose?

I’ve got several route choices going home from work. Here are two that I find an interesting comparison.

The first route is most direct, plowing right through sprawl-ville with lots of traffic. I probably have to come to a dead stop about 7-8 times during the trip. It is difficult to practice hypermiling techniques on this route. This route is shorter, but actually uses slightly more gas.

The second route is more leisurely, but a little longer. Part of it is a pretty drive along the river, and it also skirts the old downtown area. While the number of stop lights is about the same, there is much less traffic, and lights are spaced out better and well timed, so it’s a lot easier to “drive like you don’t have brakes.”

A comparison of the two routes:

Route 1: Distance: 10.3 miles. Average mpg: 55. Average gas usage per trip: .187 gal. Scenery: Strip malls. Typical number of complete stops per trip: 7-8

Route 2: Distance: 11.5 miles. Average mpg: 62. Average gas usage per trip: .185 gal. Scenery: River view, more scenic. Typical number of complete stops per trip: 3-4

Which would you choose? Would you put more miles on your car to get better mileage? What about stress level – does that matter or do you just want to travel the most direct path?

Old 08-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: which route would you choose?

I would definitely choose #2. Less stress is the biggest reason, using less gas #2, getting better mpg (scoreboard) #3.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Vegetarian

Originally Posted by wallpad
I would definitely choose #2. Less stress is the biggest reason, using less gas #2, getting better mpg (scoreboard) #3.
I would also choose route #2 for the same reasons.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have similar routes, and I definitely would do #2. And my 2 mile longer route in 20 miles gives me 10 MPG more.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have to go with the masses and choose 2. I used to purposely increase my commute from 21 to 27 miles. The first one was suburban roads, kept moving but constant line of traffic. Two lane roads, so one person 10 mph below the speed limit sent my blood pressure soaring. The other way was through farm land. Often went miles without catching up to anyone or having someone do the same to me. I actually ended that drive very relaxed and refreshed.

I'm sure I used more fuel, but you can't put a price on your mental health.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: which route would you choose?

Originally Posted by toast64
. . .

A comparison of the two routes:

Route 1: Distance: 10.3 miles. Average mpg: 55. Average gas usage per trip: .187 gal. Scenery: Strip malls. Typical number of complete stops per trip: 7-8

Route 2: Distance: 11.5 miles. Average mpg: 62. Average gas usage per trip: .185 gal. Scenery: River view, more scenic. Typical number of complete stops per trip: 3-4

Which would you choose? Would you put more miles on your car to get better mileage? What about stress level – does that matter or do you just want to travel the most direct path?
What I most admire is making a route analysis. I've done the same for my Prius:

The wise hybrid driver analyzes their daily commute route and figures out the best approach including all factors.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-31-2006, 12:01 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What if you took the Gas Echo Route with your prius?

Old 08-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Don't Taunt Pepito

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I have to go with the masses and choose 2. I used to purposely increase my commute from 21 to 27 miles. The first one was suburban roads, kept moving but constant line of traffic. Two lane roads, so one person 10 mph below the speed limit sent my blood pressure soaring. The other way was through farm land. Often went miles without catching up to anyone or having someone do the same to me. I actually ended that drive very relaxed and refreshed.

I'm sure I used more fuel, but you can't put a price on your mental health.
Well said! As long as a route doesn't take me too far out of my way or add too much time to my trip, I'll always opt for the least stressful route. Having good scenery can definitely help your mental health.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:49 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: which route would you choose?

Originally Posted by occ
What if you took the Gas Echo Route with your prius?
I get worse performance over a longer distance. This is especially true on I-565 where the posted limit is 70 mph.

The two short-cuts, Governors Drive and Sparkman-Wynn-Bradford let me do a lot of 'stealth' mode. I also get a lot of EV mode on the access roads. But once I get above 42 mph, the ICE has to run all the time.

I suspect the Echo could handle the slow-route OK, especially with predictive braking. But it really does better in a higher speed cruise mode. Stop lights kill the Echo MPG but the Prius just regenerates part of the brake energy and shutsdown the engine.

Bob Wilson