Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Running out of gas in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Running out of gas in your area?

Hi Guys. Here in the DC area, we've had some serious hording. On my way home Friday, I saw cars lined up around the corner a good 20 cars deep for gas. I just read in the Washington Post about some guy filling up a drum full of gas at a cost of $275.00. People are conserving gas by topping off there tanks, and not buying groceries? That is coserving? I thought conserving might entale fewer trips out, or better planned use of time in the car, or driving more conservatively.
In my neighborhood, EVERY single household has at least one SUV, or Truck. I'm no exception to that, but we have completely stopped driving our truck. One of my neighbors has a big boat. He cruised every day this last weekend with it. Didn't complain about the cost of gas, but my thoughts are, we might not have enough gas for everyday needs in the short term. Before the hurricane hit, I filled up all our vehicles, and gas containers. If need be, the truck, and my old subaru will provide enough gas to last my HCH for over 1900 miles of driving.
If I drove each vehicle independently, I could get
-650 comfortable miles out of my HCH @52mpg/12.5 gallons
-325 miles out of my Subaru Outback @25mpg/13 gallons
-408 miles out of my Dodge Dakota @17mpg/24 gallons
Wish people would really do there best to conserve at this time.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Proudest Monkey
Default Re: Running out of gas in your area?

Challenger1,

As far as I know, there hasn't been any real rationing of gas or actual gas shortages here in Nebraska. But as you might expect here in the Heartland, tons of people drive enormous SUV's and pickups. It really does get to be absurd. I can see how 4 wheel drive would help in the winter, but I'd much rather have a SMALLER SUV like your Outback, a Forester, or a CRV or RAV-4 which gets better mileage than say a Ram 1500 or an Excursion (the Ford School Bus).

Old 09-06-2005, 12:41 PM
2006 Toyota Highlander

Around here (SE PA), some gas stations are running out if they are cheaper than the competition.

Over in NJ - one dealer got caught trying to raise prices twice within 24 hours (not allowed) - WHILE the inspector was at the station. They forced him to stick to the lower price and he sold out.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast

Challenger...I live in the DC area as well and didn't see that too much around here. I did hear that some people were getting nervous, but I didn't see any hoarding.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

A few places ran out of gas according to the Washington Post. I also saw lines down in Southwest on the way home from work. Also, some stations were profiteering as well with prices over $5.00 at some points. Here in DC, lots of 4x4s. Not lots of need for them. In the area I live, lots of 4x4s with huge rims and ultra high performance tires. Its an image thing. This week, everything seems to be reletively normal. Prices are high 2's to low 3's. Haven't used the truck, but we haven't picked up anything that the trunk of the civic couldn't hold. Traffic has been a bit easier. I think more people are car pooling, or working reduced work weeks.
I'm car pooling and working 4 day weeks, so trying to do my part.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast

very cool...I always thought it was funny that people in this area have so many big trucks and SUVs...image can do that to people. I mean come on the winters aren't that bad around here...so unless you really need one I don't see the need for a big SUV...esp. in DC.