Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Sexism at a Mazda dealership

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Sexism at a Mazda dealership

I just wanted to share a little outraged annoyance on a friend's behalf and this seemed like a good place for it.

My friend, S., was at a local Mazda dealership recently shopping for a new car. After the test drives and discussion, she asked about pricing, and two different salesmen refused to give her any information. Both men told her she should go home to consult with her husband and come back later.

After she explained to them that this was going to be her car, not her husbands, that she was the one who was going to be choosing it, paying for it, and using it, they still insisted that she ask her husband about it and come back. She was indignant, understandably, and had to go to a manager to get the pricing information, and even then, no one apologized.

Her husband, who had been car shopping not long before, reported that no one at a dealership ever asked him to go home and consult his wife before making a decision or negotiating a price.

The icing on this particular cake came later, when the dealership left a message for S. on her answering machine. They wanted to know if she had discussed the Mazda with her husband, and whether he could come in to talk about it!

She has decided to buy a Toyota instead.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sexism at a Mazda dealership

Did your husband approve that post??

Kidding!

Wow that's nuts! The manager didn't say anything about the sexist salesmen?

Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

Did she take names and give them to the district manager?

Old 06-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
I just wanted to share a little outraged annoyance on a friend's behalf and this seemed like a good place for it.

My friend, S., was at a local Mazda dealership recently shopping for a new car. After the test drives and discussion, she asked about pricing, and two different salesmen refused to give her any information. Both men told her she should go home to consult with her husband and come back later.

After she explained to them that this was going to be her car, not her husbands, that she was the one who was going to be choosing it, paying for it, and using it, they still insisted that she ask her husband about it and come back. She was indignant, understandably, and had to go to a manager to get the pricing information, and even then, no one apologized.

Her husband, who had been car shopping not long before, reported that no one at a dealership ever asked him to go home and consult his wife before making a decision or negotiating a price.

The icing on this particular cake came later, when the dealership left a message for S. on her answering machine. They wanted to know if she had discussed the Mazda with her husband, and whether he could come in to talk about it!

She should have told them to get bent right on the spot and walked out.

She should also call Mazda directly and report the dealer. Also let Mazda know it cost them a vehicle and any and all future business.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:13 PM
my other car is a FJORD

boy, that really chaps my hide. the last two cars i bought, both hondas, i went in by myself, did all the negotiating myself and the financing myself. they never even asked if i was married. i would have read that dealership the riot act, and, as said above, let them know they lost the sale.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:41 AM

I can't imagine a dealership giving a crap, bottom line is they want to sell, sell, sell. There has to be more to this story.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

I had this happen to me about 15 years ago at Honda West in Indy. The entire staff was adamant that I couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't buy one of their cars without having my husband there.

It would be nice to think that this type of thing is dead, but I guess not.

There was "nothing else to the story"...

Old 06-14-2007, 07:46 AM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by IndyLisa
I had this happen to me about 15 years ago at Honda West in Indy. The entire staff was adamant that I couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't buy one of their cars without having my husband there.

It would be nice to think that this type of thing is dead, but I guess not.

There was "nothing else to the story"...
good grief!! what happens if you're single? do you need a note from mom and dad? i have had that happen sporadically, that if hubby and i were someplace they would talk to him and not me. i usually pipe up, but it's annoying to say the least.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Sexism at a Mazda dealership

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
. . .

A nice letter with a photo of the new car should do it. Something along the lines of:

"Thank you for helping me buy my new car. I was interested in the <model> and asked about the price but apparently Mazda only sells cars to husbands. <details of sales experience.> So I've attached a photo of my new car."

Make three copies and send two addressed to the sales manager of the Mazda dealer and one to Mazda USA headquarters. Then enjoy the new car.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-15-2007, 06:24 AM

My first response when S. told me what happened was to suggest that she contact someone higher up in the Mazda organization to register a complaint and let them know that this kind of thing is NOT acceptable. It wouldn't hurt, in my opinion, to try to get these particular guys in trouble with the organization. She may not feel that it's worth the bother, but if it were me, I would make my displeasure known to *somebody*. I like Bob's approach.

In the meantime, though I do not know the names of the salesguys, she did tell me the location of the dealership, so I thought I'd share the information here just to put out a warning to anyone who might see this:

Roto Lincoln Mercury Subaru Mazda Inc
1555 E Rand Rd
Arlington Hts, IL 60004

Quick Reply: Sexism at a Mazda dealership

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands