Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Sexism at a Mazda dealership

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Banned
Default Re: Sexism at a Mazda dealership

A lot of people let stuff like this go, but they should consider if many others also got treated poorly. It's often the case - speaking from experience.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
A nice letter with a photo of the new car should do it. Something along the lines of:

"Thank you for helping me buy my new car. I was interested in the <model> and asked about the price but apparently Mazda only sells cars to husbands. <details of sales experience.> So I've attached a photo of my new car."

Make three copies and send two addressed to the sales manager of the Mazda dealer and one to Mazda USA headquarters. Then enjoy the new car.

Bob Wilson
A scene from "Pretty Woman" comes to mind.

A little over a year ago my fiancee and I went car shopping -- for her. At one particular Honda dealership the (male) sales rep, despite our explicit initial statement that this was to be her purchase and her car, mostly ignored her. He talked mainly to me, asked me the questions, and gave me his card.

She has really enjoyed her new Corolla.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That kind of stuff is really annoying. My wife and I have only had one bad car shopping experience. We were checking out Ford Escapes back in 2001. The salesman would hardly talk to my wife. I also knew 10 times more about the vehicle than he did. The worst, though, was when he asked if we were sure we could afford the vehicle. Obviously, there was no way that I was going to buy from that guy. If we had wanted the Escape (we didn't), we still would have bought one. We would have just gone to another dealer.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What makes this story even worse is that in my home, my mother is the primary car shopper. All my life, whenever we would need a new car, my mother would do the research, visit the dealerships, take the test drives, and largely make the decisions. My father would play a role when it came time to close on the car, sign the papers and write the check- they do that stuff jointly.

I remember once going with him to pick up a car she had chosen, when the salesperson thought that my dad would want to take a test drive and was all ready to go into his pitch. My mother had told us that this was the car she wanted. She had a price, a salesperson, a particular car, all picked out, but when my dad got there they seemed to think the entire thing needed to be done over again. There are apparently elaborate rituals in this business- they want to 'shake hands' on a price, even if it's previously been agreed on, and then go 'check with the manager' and keep you waiting, and walk back and forth to the back office, before finally letting you write the check, sign the papers and grab the keys. My dad just wanted to pay and go, no test drive, no negotiations. So even though the salesperson seemed a little put out, that's what we did.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

there is something to be done with this. though your friend will let it pass, i am sure there are still many people out there who experienced this.