Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Should driving and talking on a cell phone be illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Should driving and talking on a cell phone be illegal?

What does everyone think?

Should driving and chatting on a cell phone (or what's more...texting) be illegal everywhere?

Old 02-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should driving and talking on a cell phone be illegal?

Well, my 02 Prius would not have been rear ended to the tune of 10k$ if the fella hadnt been on a cell phone when he hit me.

I think if asked back then I would surely have said cell phone use should be illegal.

Now, that its been a while, my feeling is that if someone can use it completely handsfree then I dont have a problem at this point.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Hybrid Owner

Should it be illegal? No

Should people use good sense? Yes

Do people use good sense? No

Should it be illegal? *sigh* Ok

(I've been rearended 3 times in the past 8 years by cell phone yakkers)

Old 02-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Vegetarian

I don't really understand how hands free units make it better. Obviously you need both hands to drive at certain times, especially in suddenly hazardous situations, but the problem seems to be distraction, not a lack of a free hand.

I use my phone in the car, I don't think it should be illegal. But I haven't been rearended by someone talking on a phone either.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

using a handsfree or speaker phone are like talking to someone in the car next to you instead of trying to hear a voice out of a toilet paper tube which requires not only driving attention but placement of the phone against the ear.

Let's face it, some folks can't chew gum and walk at the same time, try driving, talking and holding it to the ear and out of the way when making turns etc.

Ever since being whacked good and hard last Sept, I rarely if ever use the phone while driving anymore. If I do, I put it on spkr phone and place it in my lap. If the call is important enough, neither end will complain about the sound quality.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:21 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Should driving and talking on a cell phone be illegal?

Having been married for more than 30 years, I believe the driver should be in an insulated, sound-proof area remote from the other passengers, a capsule to minimize all distractions. There should be a faulty intercom system that frequently fails after say 30 seconds for at least 5 minutes and can not be repaired . . . EVER! An open cockpit with just a windscreen or bubble canopy comes to mind.

Passenger seats occupied by females, should have a built-in toilet (with privacy blanket,) a full-size mirror, lights and shelves. It should have a telephone and face any direction except forward. Fully articulating and electric powered, it needs a memory function that conforms to each passenger, voice activated.

Yes, something like this:

Or better yet:

Yes, this could lead to marital bliss on family outings.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-01-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I totally agree with Tony on this. You all must know what it's like to find the "sweet spot" in a mobile phone's earpiece. And they're tricky to operate, given their compact size.

For me, a Bluetooth earpiece is acceptable, and just like talking with a passenger, the driving ALWAYS comes first. You need both hands to operate a vehicle and your full attention to be a defensive driver.

When I see someone with a handset up to their ear, and they're neglecting to signal a lane change, I think that that person is out of touch with anyone's safety. Consequently, when I honk at them, I hope that both they and the person on the line will hear it loud and clear.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 AM
Enthusiast

I am agree with bwilson4web.I also thought that Its wrong to talk with mobile while driving.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:09 AM
Enthused Driver

I'm on this forum in large part to a woman on a cell phone. My Volvo 960 was totaled when she barreled through an intersection while on a cell phone.

That said, I don't believe it should be illegal, but I think the driver should be required to use a handsfree device.

Also no text messaging while driving!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

It should be illegal no doubt....i pick up my brother who is in high school and i see just about 70% of the people coming out of that parking lot on their phone....its no wonder my Tundra had gone through 3 rear bumpers, 1 set of taillights, and 1 tailgate before i traded it in...someone correct me if i'm wrong but its my understanding that this summer in CA, anyone under the age of 18 cannot talk on the phone at all while driving. this also means no bluetooth or anything for the under 18 drivers....

Quick Reply: Should driving and talking on a cell phone be illegal?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands