Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

State of the Union Address

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Site Founder

What did you think of the State of the Union address? It aired starting at 9:00 and lasted 52 minutes, followed by a Democratic response. Here's the State of the Union raw data if you didn't get to watch it:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,109032,00.html

Here's what I thought:

Bush's speech was not powerful as in previous years. He did not have the same aura, if you get what I mean. I did not agree with the marriage definitions he provided and especially his implied initiative to pass a constitutional amendment concening marriage between a man and a woman. Most every point he brought up tended to be a strong defense on the policies that he helped put in place, and I worry about the debts of the government. No doubt, he has excellent intentions, but at what cost is he willing to pursue his goals? Because of this, I remain ambivalent.

As far as the Democratic response, it was clearly a plea with those who did not benefit from specialized benefits by Bush. They created a paradigm of the rural citizen and appeared convincingly sympathetic. I found stunning paradoxes, however, including attacks on the No Child Left Behind act while advocating power to the common, unpriviledged man.

Anyway, that's me. How about you?

Old 01-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast

He will still have my vote in November.

While I do not agree with a few things he said, I stand behind his main goal.