Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

SUV's are safer than cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Old 05-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default Re: SUV's are safer than cars?

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Politics of lawyers aside, the higher center of gravity is exactly why drivers of SUVs/pickups/etc. need to be especially careful when swerving and especially when losing the roadway and trying to return to it.

From page 199 of FEH Owner's Manual:
A little excessively worded? Yes. Patently false? Not at all.
This warning is required by law:

SUV WARNING LABEL
"This is a multipurpose passenger vehicle which will handle and maneuver differently from an ordinary passenger car, in driving conditions which may occur on streets and highways and off road.
As with other vehicles of this type, if you make sharp turns or abrupt maneuvers, the vehicle may roll over or may go out of control and crash. You should read driving guidelines and instructions in the Owner's Manual, and wear your seat belt at all times."
-Manufacturers are required to place this warning label in each sport utility by the driver.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Banned

ABC has a story on the woman in that 2003 Ford Explorer that flipped from a hit-and-run.

Originally Posted by Sheriff
I can honestly say the seatbelt saved her life

Old 05-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Banned
Default Three More Flipped SUVs Seen Saturday Night

Originally Posted by Mpress
Not by the looks of this video: CNN Video SUV Flips Over

I counted that the SUV flipped over at least 7-8 times. It looks like the SUV Driver turned too much to avoid the car, and then turned too much to try and get back on the road. If the SUV had been a car, i'm sure the rollover wouldn't have happened.
I saw three more black SUV's flipped just like the one in the CNN video on Hwy 101, just north of San Francisco. This is who did it.

Fortunately, the Insight is made of aluminum.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Three More Flipped SUVs Seen Saturday Night

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I saw three more black SUV's flipped just like the one in the CNN video on Hwy 101, just north of San Francisco. This is who did it.

Fortunately, the Insight is made of aluminum.

LOL! The Aluminum Insight won't save you if you're on the Golden Gate Bridge or next to a nice big metal SUV for him to toss at you...

As a local, the news has been all over this story. She was cut off by the white car, who was changing lanes without looking while speeding. The officer went to help the SUV, and unfortunately, it seems the driver of the car has evaded justice. She survived with very minor injuries, and, as mentioned, claimed the seat belt saved her life.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Three More Flipped SUVs Seen Saturday Night

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
As a local, the news has been all over this story. She was cut off by the white car, who was changing lanes without looking while speeding. The officer went to help the SUV, and unfortunately, it seems the driver of the car has evaded justice. She survived with very minor injuries, and, as mentioned, claimed the seat belt saved her life.
I wonder if she had side curtain airbags? Those would sure help in a rollover, I would think, although I don't know how long they remain inflated and that could be an issue considering how many rolls her SUV went through.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:23 AM
04 prius 350,000km

what happens if the suv is a victim of a T bone? does it has a higher chance to flip over too besides the swerving action?

Old 05-31-2006, 03:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by philmcneal
what happens if the suv is a victim of a T bone? does it has a higher chance to flip over too besides the swerving action?
Think that is also known as the J-Turn - overturn one way; overturn the other way: rollover. This is what happened in the CNN video.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Incidents like this continually suggest that the average driver simply has no clue what to do in the case of the unexpected. If you drive an SUV, you owe it to yourself and your passengers to HAVE a clue. And while you probably can't practice the kind of responses one needs to have for this sort of stuff in a tippy SUV, you can certainly learn what works and what doesn't work through driving schools and autocross competition. Not only do these activities help to hone the correct responses to vehicle dynamics, but they are allot of fun as well.

IMO, in terms of safety, it's better to learn what doesn't work.