Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Washington University in St. Louis

Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Site Founder
Default Washington University in St. Louis

Good news, bad news. Good news: I am 95% positive I'll be attending Rice University for my undergraduate studies. Bad news: Washington University in St. Louis has apparently waitlisted me under regular decision, which means I'm their warm meat in a pan on the stove... the leftovers. My mom is having a fit because she can't understand how/why it happened. We had all been feeling extremely confident - especially after my interview. Well, here's the letter. Go Owls!

March 14, 2005

Mr. Jason Eric Siegel
701 Club Ridge Court
Longwood, FL 32779

Dear Jason:

I am writing to inform you that the Admissions Committee has placed your name on the wait list for the freshman class entering next fall at Washington University. If you are interested in remaining on the wait list, please read the enclosed sheet and complete the enclosed card and return it to us as soon as possible, postmarked no later than May 1, 2005. If you prefer, you may submit your response on our Web site at admissionswaitlist.wustl.edu.

We recognize that deciding whether to remain on the wait list can be difficult. All of us on the Admissions Committee carefully considered the credentials you submitted, and while we are not able to offer you a place in the class at this time, we would very much like to work with you if there are openings in the class. We will determine this and be in touch with you no later than June 30.

If we determine there is a space available for you, someone from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will call you. If you are interested in accepting the offer, we will immediately send you a letter of admission. Final wait list decisions, if any, will be made by June 30 and we will notify you on or before that date. We hope there will be financial assistance available for students admitted from the wait list. If you choose to enroll, you will be asked to complete the information requested in the admission materials and to withdraw from the institution to which you submitted your initial enrollment deposit.

This year our decisions were extraordinarily difficult. We had more than 21,000 applications for our freshman class of approximately 1,350. We hope that we will have spaces available after May 1. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please feel free to call any of us in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

My best wishes for a successful conclusion to your senior year.

Sincerely,

Nanette H. Tarbouni
Director of Admissions

Old 03-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Hey, Rice is a Fine, Fine University !!

Good job selecting Rice !! Buncha talented kids and professors at that school....It's the "Harvard" of the TX schools.........

Old 03-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Site Founder

lol. Texas isn't its own country anymore... haha but it is top 20 in the nation. After speaking with my dad, my plan is to choose Rice as my school and make plans for it. If WashU decides that my attendance wouldn't scuff up their shoes too much, I'll think about it. But, by that time I wouldn't be able to claim my National Merit scholarship or visit the college while it's in session. Guess I'm going to Rice.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

i haven't received anything yet

Old 03-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___So when do you get fitted for your new cowboy boots and Stetson hat? Don’t forget to pick up a large rack of steer horns to glue to the front of your Prius II! When in Texas, act as a Texan I always say Just kidding of course.

___On a much more serious note, congrats as you are almost there!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason
Well, here's the letter. Go Owls!

[/font]
As you know, I went to Wash U.

It's hard to say. Some people before were accusing Wash U. of waitlisting some people to inflate its admissions numbers. Most likely, you will be admitted if you appeal it. They have pegged you as someone who would be a great student there but will most likely attend elsewhere. So they waitlisted you instead of admitting you directly.

Personally, I hate US news and world report and the games that colleges play nowadays. But I have 15 years before my daughter will be applying.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Site Founder

flare,
They sent letters out a couple days ago. I accessed my decision online.

blueskies,
The problem now isn't so much that I may or may not be admitted -- that's been the situation for months. The problem is that should they admit me (finally), I'll hear too late to get my National Merit scholarship or visit the school again while it's in session. So, they've basically told me that it isn't feasible to go there, anymore. If I can't even see the school again before I go...? And, it's a definite turn-off for me to be the warm meat in the pan.

Wayne,
I was born in Houston and go back every few years. The Texas culture is definitely interesting, but I'm glad that Houston is (in my opinion) the mild side of it. From what I recall, they don't even have much of an accent there, besides "ya'll" and the like.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason
blueskies,
The problem now isn't so much that I may or may not be admitted -- that's been the situation for months. The problem is that should they admit me (finally), I'll hear too late to get my National Merit scholarship or visit the school again while it's in session. So, they've basically told me that it isn't feasible to go there, anymore. If I can't even see the school again before I go...? And, it's a definite turn-off for me to be the warm meat in the pan.
No joke. BTW, I think you are remarkably mature. I know I wasn't when I was 17!!!

Old 03-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Site Founder

Haha, well I'm 18, but thank you.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ok i checked online. I was put on the waiting list as well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Washington University in St. Louis

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands