Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Washington University in St. Louis

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Site Founder

Really? Wow. They really must do this to a lot of people. I've got to tell you, I'm surprised. I've had an overwhelming impression that WashU is more thoughtful and concerned with their students than any other university. This waitlist thing, however, is a complete 180. What, exactly, are they trying to accomplish?

I spoke to a friend in Houston. Of those she knew of, 3 were accepted, 3 were waitlisted and the rest were denied. One of the 3 waitlisted eventually got in.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

frankly i don't know if i want to go to wash u. it doesnt' have my major.. neither does kettering but its 30k cheaper per year... and its more related + closer to my field of study

Old 03-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast

Please don't be mad at me for registering for this group for the sole purpose of joining this conversation, but I googled "Washington University in St. Louis" and "wait list" and it took me here. I did this because I received news yesterday that I, too, am on the waitlist for WUStL. I had previously considered myself a pretty good student, so I figured while I may not be number one at WUStL, I might at least get in.
They have a freshman class of about 1300. Usually their acceptance rate is about 20%, or so says collegeboard.com. That would mean their usual number of applicants is 6500, right? Well, the letter they sent me the other day said they had 21000 applicants this year. What's with the big increase? Now they'll have about a 6.5% acceptance rate. Could it have anything to do with any publicity it may have received with the presidential debate being held there?
Is it worth appealing? If so, what should one say? Just how many people are on this waitlist? Did anyone get flat-out denied? I'll look forward to your reply.

Last edited by bengevia; 03-20-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Site Founder

Welcome to GreenHybrid, even if it was just for this conversation I'm strangely flattered that this page is the #1 site for that, haha.

I keep hearing of people who are getting waitlisted. I don't understand it, frankly. Of course, it's nothing personal, but I do find it rude. We all have better things to do than spend our summer twiddling our thumbs.

I had my interview with Steve Frappier, Associate Director of Undergraduate Admissions. I emailed him to ask if there was anything I could do about my status. I was told just to send my end-year transcript and await the result. Grrr

Beth, what are your other college choices? I'm about set to pack my bags for Rice University (Houston).

Oh -- don't mistake admissions with enrollment.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

Washington University was the only prestigous school I applied to. In fact, the only other school I applied to was the University of Minnesota. I'm planning on majoring in architecture, and there aren't a whole lot of schools around here (only one in Minnesota) with that degree. I know there are others, but I am interested in staying within a few hours of home. Besides, I didn't want to have to pay out-of-state, but with WUStL, had I gotten in and decided to go there, everyone has the same tuition rate (though it is sky-high).

To be honest, between the U of M and WUStL, I was about 70/30, respectively. What drove me to apply at Wash U were the hopes of maybe getting into a great school, as I have always secretly wished for. Well, that dream seems to have hit the swinging frying pan that is Admissions. While the U of M is actually a rather good school, it's just not the caliber I had been hoping for.

Was anyone with halfway decent qualifications actually flat-out denied? Does anyone know (or have a guess as to) how many applicants are on WUStL's waiting list? I was going to call today to ask admissions if they give that information out, but I guess I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow.

Congrats on your admission to Rice; that's a great accomplishment. I actually considered that for a week or two after I received scholarship information between that and six other schools, but the commitment involved with applying for the program scared me off. In addition, I realized I would get quite homesick all the way down there.

Last edited by bengevia; 03-21-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

i think i wont go on that waiting list then... i hope you get into WUSTL cause I've pretty much settled on Kettering University. They gave me a 40k scholarship and WUSTL doesnt have the major i want. Plus they have pretty good architecture and an architecture school in japan.. so that would be a great opportunity for you.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Site Founder

I got into Emory today. Should hear from Duke and UVA any day now. Still going to Rice, though.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:43 AM
A Little Green

Hang in there.

My experience with Wash U is they will not respond to whiners. But when I observed that my son's friends (a year younger, and National Merit Finalists) were getting waitlisted by Wash U and turned down by University of Chicago and Stanford, I considered the options.
Wash U would really really like to hear if there is anything about you that they don't know, especially as it relates to your interest in them. Jason mentioned not visiting the college. Perhaps there are people he contacted outside the Admissions department, and so it was not noted there. In my son's friend's case, Wash U didn't know that she had attended a University event, visited a dorm, and attended classes. I mentioned this visit in a phone call to Admissions and it seemed to help. She is a National Merit Scholar and did not switch her "first choice" to Wash U until they had taken her off the waiting list - four days after she graduated from high school.
It was not an easy time for the parents, either. Good luck to all on the lists (both for a hybrid and for a college).

Old 03-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Site Founder

Oh, I did go before. I was planning to go again while it's in session [this weekend].

I'll be sure to let them know what I've been up to lately. And, I don't mean to "whine," but the more people I speak to the more I hear about this gigantic waitlist. An old friend I met up with yesterday knew 1 person who got in and numerous people waitlisted.

But, I'm going to Rice.

Old 04-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Congrats on getting into Rice!

Like bengevia, I am also guilty of joining this site to post on this thread. Sorry!! I just wanted to say congrats to Jason on making it into Rice! I found out a few days ago I was wait-listed, Rice was the only prestigious school that I applied to. My parents only allowed me to apply to schools inside Texas so, basically it was limited to Rice or University of Texas. Do any of yall know if Rice is infamous for it's wait list like Wash. U? I don't hear back from them until the end of May... the suspense is killing me...

Quick Reply: Washington University in St. Louis

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands