Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Are we a bunch of Al Gore hypocrits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Are we a bunch of Al Gore hypocrits?

We can all do better.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:10 AM
HypoFueler

Wow $3.25/mile for 100K miles.... Over $300k for to produce and operate a Prius? I dont remember the Hybrids total cost of ownership TCO(including the price of the vehicle) even approaching $50k over the 5-6 years to put on that mileage. If so, either Toyota is losing a lot of $ per car or I am...

In any case, I bought the HCHII for selfish reasons - $$$ - lowest TCO over the 7-10 years I plan to drive it - and its a comfortable, reliable car.

BTW, had to sell my Jeep Cherokee to help buy the Hybrid. No more offroading (for now...).

Old 03-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Al Gore does not walk the walk which he talks. See recent stories on his huge electricity bills in his mansion for proof of that.

He might and probably does truly CARE about the environment. But telling people the sky if falling while he is wasting huge kilowatts of energy at his mansion is ample fuel for the criticism he deserves.
Pointing out faults in a person's character might work as a defense in legal cases or help politicians get to office...
... but it doesn't quite work as an argument to refute Global Warming

Old 03-21-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Katz6768
Pointing out faults in a person's character might work as a defense in legal cases or help politicians get to office...
... but it doesn't quite work as an argument to refute Global Warming
I was not refuting Global Warming at all.

I was merely pointing out (correctly so) that AlGore just needs to put up with the criticism he is rightly due from his CO2 excesses and then move on with doing a better job of reducing his footprint.

He is the former "Temporary" President of the United States, after all....

Old 03-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

This was not about al Gore, it was about the cost of a Hummer Vs a Prius, and their energy use over their respective liftimes. Stick to the subject.

As far as that subject is concerned, you cant tell me that the nickel mine is Only pulling nickel for Prius batteries, therefore that point is mute, as is the point of all the other resources recanted.

It is a proven and established fact that more pollution comes out of the tailpipe of cars than any other source of pollution, period, so a hybrid is a natural progression and a move in the right direction. Are the car manufacturers remiss because it took them soo long to get here. Absolutely. We as consumers let it happen, because we continue to buy. What is the next step, time will tell.

That article is bogus.

Bill

Old 03-21-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by SrfCity
The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.
Here's my favorite BS. A hummer lasting 300k miles and a prius only 100k? What a crock.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Hybrid Lover

It's been said before, but Al Gore has done more than his share getting the word out, and any Republicans stirring up these stories are just trying to DISTRACT from the real problems. As always, typical Republican propaganda. Just sayin...

Old 03-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by lars-ss
I was not refuting Global Warming at all.

I was merely pointing out (correctly so) that AlGore just needs to put up with the criticism he is rightly due from his CO2 excesses and then move on with doing a better job of reducing his footprint.

He is the former "Temporary" President of the United States, after all....
Sorry, I thought this thread was echoing James Inhofe's criticism of Al Gore for having a "heated Tennessee mansion" during the Global Warming hearings this week:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...77_gore22.html

In my view Global Warming should not become a Democratic or Republican issue... preserving "our" environment should be above US Politics.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Back to the hybrid and battery thing. It's my suspicion that the batteries are quite harmful to the environment when you look at overall picture(what it takes to makes the batteries etc.) and resulting damage. IMO there's some truth to the article and these cars are not as eco-friendly as marketers would have you believe.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:34 AM

Honda and Toyota recycle all their expended hybrid batteries.

Quick Reply: Are we a bunch of Al Gore hypocrits?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands