Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Are we a bunch of Al Gore hypocrits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Are we a bunch of Al Gore hypocrits?

Sure, Al Gore may not walk his talk, maybe that makes him a hypocrit - but it doesn't necessarily make him wrong. I'm old enough to remember many doctors who told their patients stop smoking, but who continued to smoke themselves.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It seems to me that Al gore is in this for himself, not the good of the country/world. He has his own movie, has been in front of congress, and has been nominated for a nobel prize, etc. The problem most people have with him is not whether he is right or not. Its the fact that he seems to me to be quite self serving. Why should someone get so much recognition and praise for talking? Maybe I am wrong, but if he truly believed what he preached to the degree he makes it sound("this is a world crisis") he would be following his own message to the extreme to set a good example. When I think of good people like Gandhi or Mother Theresa, I think of people that actually did things for the world, not just tell others to do things. This is what I see as the problem with Al Gore.

my 2 cents

Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Engineering first

The usual practice when losing on the facts and data is to attack the man. In this case, Al Gore. Meanwhile, the winters are warmer, the years are warmer, the sea level is rising.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-22-2007, 07:34 PM

I would really like to see more legislation that benefits those who conserve and also more money spent on "green" technology. I've bought my hybrid which I love, and try to do small things day to day like recycle, turn off unneeded lights, not let the water run, and use only one paper towl in public bathrooms (my hands can air dry the rest of the way ). However, I do realize there is always more for me to do. I also look forward to owning my own home someday and installing solar panels on it and make it energy efficient. Anyways, since this is a free country, we can't force everyone to do half these things (we can't and shouldn't take away freedom), all we can really do is reward conservation, or tax wastefulness. Rather, we need people to set the example to encourage others to follow. My dad is the person who got me into hybrids. Without his influence I wouldn't own one right now. It just makes me sad that from what I see, most of our politicians (both Democrats and Republicans) aren't such leaders, but just politicians in it for themselves.

another 2 cents

Old 03-22-2007, 07:39 PM

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

So it this thread about batteries or Al Gore??

Old 03-23-2007, 05:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Redapple

<snip a bunch of snotty stuff>

As far as that subject is concerned, you cant tell me that the nickel mine is Only pulling nickel for Prius batteries, therefore that point is mute,

<snip more>

It is a proven and established fact that more pollution comes out of the tailpipe of cars than any other source of pollution, period, blah, blah, blah....

Bill

Yo:

Part one is the usual NIMBY drivel I hear from the faithful. If you use nickel you cause more of it to be mined and processed, no way around that dude. It doesn't matter if nickel is being mined and processed for another use somewhere else by someone else.

YOUR use caused an increase or sustain in production. And it doesn't matter how noble you think you and your little hybrid are, it still mined, processed for YOU. Own it, keep it, be man or woman enough to admit it. Like being a vegan and wearing birks, "well the cow was already dead". Just phony two faced feel good nonsense.

Part two is also bull. Last I checked power production was far and away the largest cause of air pollutants, transportion was WAY DOWN on the list. 5% WW, 14% US.

So really the PROVEN AND ESTABLISHED FACT is probably that driving your little hybrid might make you feel good, smug and holier than thou, but it's real effect to GW is zippo, nadda, nil. The bigger impact of your little status symbol is saving you money through better FE and reducing overseas imports of oil.

BTW Al Gore is an idiot, his followers are fools. The dude is in it for the money.

Signed Cynical,
Steve
Oregon

Last edited by spud; 03-23-2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:09 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by spud
Yo:

Part one is the usual NIMBY drivel I hear from the faithful. If you use nickel you cause more of it to be mined and processed, no way around that dude. It doesn't matter if nickel is being mined and processed for another use somewhere else by someone else.

YOUR use caused an increase or sustain in production. And it doesn't matter how noble you think you and your little hybrid are, it still mined, processed for YOU. Own it, keep it, be man or woman enough to admit it. Like being a vegan and wearing birks, "well the cow was already dead". Just phony two faced feel good nonsense. Where's the reason, the underlying principle here?
Sounds just like the old Alabama race laws. Just a smidgen of black blood was enough to make someone a slave. But as long as you consistently hold this point of view, fine by me.

Part two is also bull. Last I checked power production was far and away the largest cause of air pollutants, transportion was WAY DOWN on the list. 5% WW, 14% US.
Auto exhaust are concentrated in urban areas where people live.

So really the PROVEN AND ESTABLISHED FACT
Not supported by facts and data.

. . . is probably that driving your little hybrid might make you feel good, smug and holier than thou, but it's real effect to GW is zippo, nadda, nil. The bigger impact of your little status symbol is saving you money through better FE and reducing overseas imports of oil.
Didn't someone claim that ownership of some insigificant part is ownership of the whole?

BTW Al Gore is an idiot, his followers are fools. The dude is in it for the money.
You've confused Al Gore with the reflection in your mirror.

Bob Wilson