Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

What will GH be discussing in 5 years?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default What will GH be discussing in 5 years?

Now that Toyota is hinting around about their next generation Prius, and speculation abounds about the future of hybrids and EVs, I thought it might be fun to speculate what the members of GH might be discussing 10 years from now. Here's a couple of mine:

1. Discussions about mpg will be out. Discussions of SOC will be in.

2. We'll have people putting kwh meters in their garage so they can record how much juice they've consumed in addition to gas consumption.

3. Lots of talk about who will market the first real fuel cell vehicle, and when.

4. Lots of talk about how and where the hydrogen's going to come from.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What will GH be discussing in 5 years?

In 5 years we'll be remembering the days of $3/gal gas and how nice it was! And site readership will be enormous because so many vehicles will be available as a hybrid, be it simple BAS a la Saturn Greenline or full PHEV like the upcoming Prius. And the database will contain lifetime numbers over 100mpg

Old 04-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Rarely post anything

Originally Posted by toast64

3. Lots of talk about who will market the first real fuel cell vehicle, and when.

Actually, this is on track to already have occurred 5yrs from now. Honda has stated they will be producing the FCX for general consumer sale (#3), along with the home refueling station (#4) within the next four years (announced earlier this year).

The question will be - who will be purchasing one ? The one that's in service now in Cali is on a subsidized lease (since it cost about $250K to produce, IIRC)

Old 04-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by toast64
. . .
I'll still be offering to drive anyone down to the dealer in my hybrid-electric to test drive an H(2) car . . . only there won't be any H(2) cars to drive.

Bob Wilson