2008 FEH Transmission acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 FEH Transmission acting strange

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
When the Traction battery reaches its upper limit of programmed charge the energy of deceleration has to go somewhere. So they programmed a "Negative split" mode where the computer sends the excess energy that would have gone into charging the battery into spinning up the engine.

This is the equivalent of engine braking on a standard transmission. Note that an automatic transmission does this too but is far less apparent with a fluid coupling.

There is nothing in the FEH transaxle that would "slip" like you remarked on. Everything is done with gears & electric machine excitation. The "in & out" kind of feeling you're getting seems a bit odd to me, I haven't seen this at those temps near my place.
I have experienced a version of this behavior at certain times, on the first start up of the morning. I am in LA, so the weather never gets much below 40 degrees F. When starting out, I will hit the accelerator, and it feels as if the transmission slips - it starts out a bit and then seems to stutter before engaging again (all within one second). I have not worried much about it, since it happens very rarely and the vehicle is working fine otherwise.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 AM

It is sometimes possible to roll rearward at a stoplight on an incline with the gear in "D". I don't worry about it, just step on the brake pedal.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Everything the original poster said is normal. My 2005 behaves like this frequently.

Rest assured, nothing is "slipping". It is impossible in this type of transmission. The gears are always in mesh. ALWAYS.

What you feel is an illusion painted by your past experience in other cars.
What you feel is the regen cutting in and out... sometimes more abruptly than we'd like.

A bit of hesitation is felt when accelerating if your battery is cold and can't put out the amps you are used to. Hence, the weak(er) low torque Atkinsen engine has to do all the work, and its performance is poor at very low speeds.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Everything the original poster said is normal. My 2005 behaves like this frequently.

Rest assured, nothing is "slipping". It is impossible in this type of transmission. The gears are always in mesh. ALWAYS.

What you feel is an illusion painted by your past experience in other cars.
What you feel is the regen cutting in and out... sometimes more abruptly than we'd like.

A bit of hesitation is felt when accelerating if your battery is cold and can't put out the amps you are used to. Hence, the weak(er) low torque Atkinsen engine has to do all the work, and its performance is poor at very low speeds.
The regen cutting in and out when I am first moving the vehicle out in the morning? The point is not the weak acceleration (not really a factor here in SoCal), but that there is a distinct jerk after it goes maybe a couple of feet.

As to the transmission, I believe that a conventional AT uses a planetary gearset, although implemented differently?

Anyway, as I said, I'm not worried about it, this is just a first-gen characteristic that I see occasionally, maybe once every other month or so.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by stevedebi
The regen cutting in and out when I am first moving the vehicle out in the morning? The point is not the weak acceleration (not really a factor here in SoCal), but that there is a distinct jerk after it goes maybe a couple of feet.

Well I believe we are talking about the same thing, but hard to know for sure without being there. Does mine do a wiplash inducing jerk? No. Does it occasionally lurch or surge, yes.

As to the transmission, I believe that a conventional AT uses a planetary gearset, although implemented differently?

No. Completely different here. I mean your engine is contstantly in mesh with the wheels and motors. Always. There is no "neutral" in this car either. The "N" on your gear stick is just for pretend. It is just a computer joy stick. "N" tells the car "do not generate power" but all the gears are still in mesh and turning. Even when towing. Your car has 3 power sources. A gasoline engine, A traction motor, and a generator motor. It is required for two out of three to be moving at all times.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:16 PM

"No. Completely different here. I mean your engine is contstantly in mesh with the wheels and motors. Always."

John, it sounds like the problem Steve is having is not normal but hard to be confirmed by a Ford Hybrid tech. Maybe a glitch in the warm-up strategy but not normal. The engine is not constantly in mesh with the wheels and the RPM's can be completely different. The amount of assist can cause jerks if programming is off during a certain mode of operation.

GaryG

Old 03-14-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
"No. Completely different here. I mean your engine is contstantly in mesh with the wheels and motors. Always."

John, it sounds like the problem Steve is having is not normal but hard to be confirmed by a Ford Hybrid tech. Maybe a glitch in the warm-up strategy but not normal. The engine is not constantly in mesh with the wheels and the RPM's can be completely different. The amount of assist can cause jerks if programming is off during a certain mode of operation.

GaryG
Well, maybe I'm mention it on my next oil change. But it is SO intermittent that I know they will say "can't reproduce". Heck, even I can't reproduce it at will. Anyway I have the 7 year 100K extended warranty, so I'm not too worried at 3 years and 35K.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM

Well, maybe I'm mention it on my next oil change. But it is SO intermittent that I know they will say "can't reproduce". Heck, even I can't reproduce it at will. Anyway I have the 7 year 100K extended warranty, so I'm not too worried at 3 years and 35K.
I have a similar issue in my '05 sometimes trying to accelerate at highway speeds. The engine RPM's are always above 5,000 and all of a sudden the engine will lock-up with the wheel speed and the RPM's drops like a clutch that stops slipping. I get a drivetrain shutter when this happens also. Like you, it only happens about once a month so I'm not wasting my time at the dealer just yet.

GaryG

Old 03-18-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
I have a similar issue in my '05 sometimes trying to accelerate at highway speeds. The engine RPM's are always above 5,000 and all of a sudden the engine will lock-up with the wheel speed and the RPM's drops like a clutch that stops slipping. I get a drivetrain shutter when this happens also. Like you, it only happens about once a month so I'm not wasting my time at the dealer just yet.

GaryG
You know, I don't think I've ever seen my RPM go past about 4100, even on the huge hill near my house.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 AM

You know, I don't think I've ever seen my RPM go past about 4100, even on the huge hill near my house.
My '09 FEH RPM does not get that high either but the '05 has always had a problem with high RPM's. I came up with the term fake shift back in 2005 on this board to allow the RPM's to drop back down to re-accelerate.

When E10 was mandated here in Florida the problem got real bad trying to accelerate without the RPM's getting out of control. This is a big reason the '05 had such a big decrease in MPG on E10. Programming may have changed in the '08 FEH, can anyone else confirm what I'm talking about?

GaryG

Quick Reply: 2008 FEH Transmission acting strange

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands