2008 Navigation Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Navigation Package

You can easily install an aftermarket NAV like the Eclipse 5510 I have in mine.

I paid less then $1000 for it & it's better than even the 08 factory NAV except it doesn't have the Hybrid screens.

My unit plays DVD/DVD-R movies & CDR/MP3 discs, has a backup camera & has an internal high power AMP.

~John

Old 04-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Or you could go with the Kenwood DNX7100, it has Garmin GPS built in, interfaces DIRECTLY with an iPod (including playing video!) and its only $100 more!

Old 04-13-2007, 11:47 AM

Yup, the Kenwood is a good choice also. I picked the Eclipse because the mapping is better than the Garmin(I have a Garmin also with the latest mao set, so I can directly compare the two).

You need to decide which features are most important in each individual case.

~John

Old 04-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: 2008 Navigation Package

Looks like most of the latest generation of aftermarket in-dash NAV/DVD units are around $1500-$2000 once you purchase all the adapters to suit your personnal preference (ipod, rearview camera, sat.radio, bluetooth, etc.)

I understand the opening in the dash of the 05/06/07 models will accept the double-DIN units but is tight and/or requires some small amount of modification.

I still like the Pioneer AVIC-Z1....comes with 30GB of storage...20GB for the NAV and 10GB reserved for whatever music you want to store - don't have to bring along your ipod and it comes with the Gracenote CDDB software already loaded.

Last edited by glennb; 04-13-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by glennb

I still like the Pioneer AVIC-Z1....comes with 30GB of storage...20GB for the NAV and 10GB reserved for whatever music you want to store -

I liked it too, I actually owned a Z1 for a while(I sold it on ebay)

The Z1 has some awesome features, but it is hands down the absolute worst NAV unit I have ever used(& I've been using GPS units for years). The POS Z1 is totally incapable of plotting an intelligent route from point A to point B(what really took the cake was when it told me to "make a legal U-Turn" as I was travelling down a 4 lane divided highway.

I found a Pioneer message board & there where tons & tons of complaints with the same issues about the useless NAV function.

~John

Old 04-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

The probs I found with the Z1 were:

* lots of folks complaining about the Nav

* You have to jump through hoops to get the address entry while moving (thinking of passenger entering address)

* The HD is nice, but you have to transfer from an Audio CD, as most of my collection is already in MP3, I didn't want to transfer back to cd to transfer back.

I liked the Eclipse, but I thought it was a step backwards in losing the street name (heck the factory nav even had that!) So, it with the Kenwood having a reputable Nav, a good Ipod interface, there were few compromises.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by mikesus

I liked the Eclipse, but I thought it was a step backwards in losing the street name (heck the factory nav even had that!)
I agree on the Ipod interface if that's important to you(I just burn a CDR disc with 100 or more mp3's & play that, so I see little need for messing with an Ipod)

I'm not sure what you mean by "losing the street name" however, my Eclipse certainly does every function that the POS factory setup did.......

~John

Old 04-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I.E. Here in NC, we have a bunch of highways that bundle together, so take the next left vs take the next left on I 40 means a lot. I know the Eclipse shows it, but its nice not to have to look at it when folks are qualifying for Nascar down here...

Last edited by mikesus; 04-13-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mikesus
I.E. Here in NC, we have a bunch of highways that bundle together, so take the next left vs take the next left on I 40 means a lot. I
In that case, the Eclipse would say the same the exact same thing as the Kenwood. The Eclipse calls all state routes & Interstate routes by name.

~John

Old 04-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

hey thanks David for the info. the dealer that we went to found me one with the nav system already in it so I bought it and my wife did not want the nav so we got her one they had on the lot. but thanks!!

Quick Reply: 2008 Navigation Package

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands