After market NAV system - again

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: After market NAV system - again

Hey! What you guys think of this system?
http://6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=KENDNX5120

Old 10-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cathyth3
Hey! What you guys think of this system?
http://6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=KENDNX5120

I have the Kenwood DNX7100 model which is a step above what you have. The DNX8100 is the top of the line with bluetooth installed.

The Ford Navigational system is not the best and most aftermarket units will be a positive addition. However you lose the "hybrid" portion of your the Ford unit. It might be possible to purchase a larger "portable" GPS unit to upgrade your navigational needs. If music is "your thing", then you need to do a complete system overhaul and this can add up with speakers-amplifiers-subwoofers-sound deadening material included.

You have to determine your needs and goals and go from there.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cathyth3
There's alot of information about different GPS/DVD, yadda, yadda systems.
I was just curious which system you all think gives you the best bang for the buck.
I'm thinking about swapping out the stock NAV for a aftermarket one. Realtime GPS, CD (all - MP3, etc.), Bluetooth, iPod, AM/FM, maybe even a HDD is what I'm looking for.

thanks for the replies
I've looked over all the currently provided nav systems and there's no perfect answer. My recommendation is to buy the 09 ford unit and install it, it is one of the best I've seen.

Kenwood DNX8120 -- the most feature filled model. Only negative is that it has a lower resolution display (480x234).
Pioneer F90BT -- great display, ok nav. recent firmware has improved this model. Cold boot up time is the key issue (think windows for your car).
Visteon Nav -- brand new in July, high res display. No reviews on it yet, most installers haven't heard of it. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you a dealer that has some in stock.
09 Ford nav system -- very strong, high res display, easy to use, good integration with Sync. You will need to see your dealer about ordering one. If I were you, I'd go with this model, particularly if you have Sync already.

The Pioneer AVIC Z3 and N5 units have lower res displays, but have more features. Given that you are seeing discounting, I bet there's a new model coming with a higher resolution display for the CES show in January.

I'm not sure what year model you have for Sync, but if you have an 2009, the Ford nav system integrates with Sync. There are aftermarket sync kits out for the Mustang and Mercury Navigator (about $400-500). No word on Escape yet.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jgATL
I've looked over all the currently provided nav systems and there's no perfect answer. My recommendation is to buy the 09 ford unit and install it, it is one of the best I've seen.
Nobody has documented (to my knowledge) that it is possible to retrofit/replace any nav system with a newer Ford model. The original poster has an 07 Mariner. Ford could make a few extra bucks if owners of previous models could upgrade to the latest nav system.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
Nobody has documented (to my knowledge) that it is possible to retrofit/replace any nav system with a newer Ford model. The original poster has an 07 Mariner. Ford could make a few extra bucks if owners of previous models could upgrade to the latest nav system.
True. Until the wiring diagram comes out for the 2009 model year, you won't really be able to tell if the ACM harness in the 09 is similar to the 07.

You could ask your local dealer about buying the 09 unit from them and having them investigate installing it. Since they have repair manuals for the 07 and 09, they can probably tell you if it is possible. The biggest issue will be when and if Ford will add a Sync retrofit kit (like on the Mustang) to the 07 Escape.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jgATL
True. Until the wiring diagram comes out for the 2009 model year, you won't really be able to tell if the ACM harness in the 09 is similar to the 07.

You could ask your local dealer about buying the 09 unit from them and having them investigate installing it. Since they have repair manuals for the 07 and 09, they can probably tell you if it is possible. The biggest issue will be when and if Ford will add a Sync retrofit kit (like on the Mustang) to the 07 Escape.
They might be able to tell you if the wiring is the same... but they'll have no idea if the communication protocols and software are the same. All it takes is for the system to send one message that the other system doesn't understand to cause a problem.

I doubt you'll get much cooperation from the dealer, because if you buy it and it doesn't work you are going to hold them responsible... why would they risk it?

Everyone has gotten used to computers and such that are all cross compatible... cars just aren't built like that... they should be but each major model year change is written with no worry about backward compatibility whatsoever.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Everyone has gotten used to computers and such that are all cross compatible... cars just aren't built like that... they should be but each major model year change is written with no worry about backward compatibility whatsoever.
I'm about 95% confident that Ford has confirmed it has changed the hybrid software each and every model year.
Maybe someone with a detailed parts catalog would know if the hybrid nav system part# has changed every model year, which may give a clue.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 PM

I had a Pioneer AVIC D3 in my previous vehicle and had REALLY wanted the factory nav in my '09, but was unwilling to wait 6-10 months for one to be delivered and risk losing my tax credit. I was told it was possible to add the factory nav to my FEH, it wasn't practical. The analogy they used was adding A/C to a non A/C vehicle. They said the entire center column (heat, radio, etc) had to be removed and replaced. I suspect the radio only could be swapped out, but it would probably not be reversible as center cover would need to be cut.

It pains me very much to have a nav sit on the dash, but I bit the bullet and just ordered the Garmin Nuvi 650 ($200), which had good ratings on NewEgg.

FWIW, although I'd do the Avic again, there were times when I was frustrated when trying to enter a new address and it could not be found. I think my wife's cheap Tom Tom is better at that.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
I also have the 2006 FEH with the Nav Radio. I have been looking around for years to upgrade to something that is "modern" while retaining all the hybrid readouts, but unfortunately it seems the entire industry is not keen at retro-fitting, including Ford itself... sigh...

Anybody has any news? I would love to fit my 06 with the latest 09 model with the cool Sync.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:06 AM

Sync is cool, but I can't say it's a must-have for me like the Nav radio. I have enjoyed the Sirius trial, which I suspect should be ending soon. I usually listen to just public radio. I'd REALLY like to have to 2010 dash display tho.

Quick Reply: After market NAV system - again

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands