Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   THE Air and Oil Filter Thread (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/air-oil-filter-thread-15380/)

GatorJ 09-25-2023 06:37 AM

Re: THE Air and Oil Filter Thread

Originally Posted by gpsman1 (Post 169461)
My Store Bought BOSCH micron cabin filter #P3710 was $15.99.

For $42 ( cost me $40 2 years ago ) You can get a LIFETIME battery air filter.
( I think it was about the same price for a LIFETIME engine air filter too. )

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi.../5/filter1.jpg

Remember, the battery air filter is a low flow, low velocity, mainly a leaf and bug filter.
So while something of this quality is not required, for a little more cost, you'll never need to get another! Peace of mind and convienience is worth something! And no, no oil will get into the battery. #1 the filter placement is a long ways away, and #2 it is a low flow, low velocity air duct.

Per the K&N website, this is how much oil is required to re-oil the filter (now priced at $64.99) after cleaning (copied and pasted.):

Filter Re-Oiling Amount 0.2 oz (6 ml)

S Keith 09-25-2023 06:55 AM

IMHO oIled K&N products have NO place in consumer vehicles. They allow too much particulate to pass through a clean filter. Once they accumulate enough debris to reduce the particulates passed through, they are more restrictive than paper.

The only folks who should be using K&N are those seeking performance gains and willing to risk engine degradation.

GatorJ 09-25-2023 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 277504)
IMHO oIled K&N products have NO place in consumer vehicles. They allow too much particulate to pass through a clean filter. Once they accumulate enough debris to reduce the particulates passed through, they are more restrictive than paper.

The only folks who should be using K&N are those seeking performance gains and willing to risk engine degradation.

This is for the HVTB battery filter. My HVTB has been dirt and dust free.

S Keith 09-25-2023 07:20 AM

Yep. I'd still go for paper. :)

gpsman1 09-25-2023 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 277506)
Yep. I'd still go for paper. :)

That's the beautiful thing about a free country, you can decide.

You know who never had a dime of trouble with his FEH in a quarter of a million miles with K&N both under the hood and above the battery vent?

This guy.

You know who purchased one filter for the life of the 2005 FEH?

Same guy. 😎

S Keith 09-25-2023 12:34 PM

I'm proud owner of at least 8 K&N air filters... they're all the pod filters on my old carb fed Suzukis... they benefit greatly from them, but I'm going for performance.

IMHO, it's a waste of time and money in a non-performance vehicle. Doubly so for the vast majority of K&N owners who will neglect proper filter maintenance.

gpsman1 09-25-2023 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 277510)
I'm proud owner of at least 8 K&N air filters... they're all the pod filters on my old carb fed Suzukis... they benefit greatly from them, but I'm going for performance.

IMHO, it's a waste of time and money in a non-performance vehicle. Doubly so for the vast majority of K&N owners who will neglect
proper filter maintenance.

May I ask what you are smoking so I can avoid it?

Primary reason I use K&N is to SAVE TIME and MONEY.

Saves me HOURS and Hundreds of dollars.

S Keith 09-25-2023 09:16 PM

Ah. So you neglect them. Cool. Keep smoking your stuff.

GatorJ 11-30-2023 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by GatorJ (Post 277505)
This is for the HVTB battery filter. My HVTB has been dirt and dust free.

I just had my HVTB completely disassembled to replace the battery sticks with new ones from MaxPower. I was pleasantly surprised by just how clean and dust free the interior of my battery was and I've been using the K&N since I purchased the car 6 years ago. The current HVTB was installed three years ago. I am only using K&N for the battery filter, not the engine air filter. I only drive on highways and city streets and do not live in a particularly dusty area.