Anyone change all the driveline fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone change all the driveline fluids?

Originally Posted by Island Mariner
My BMW was reliable for the 60k it had on it when I traded it for the Mariner. I was getting nervous about the tranny, though.

With my mercury dealer, it's success if they don't make things worse and I am not confident at all that they are doing what they say they are doing. It may have more to do with the dealer

You're really lucky if your Beemer went that far with no problems, Beemers have always been a "high maintenance" type vehicle. The dealer I work at sells used Beemers & we are always repairing some kind of problem with them.

That is definitely a dealer problem you are describing with the Merc dealer. I was a flat-rate mechanic for years & before I got into IT type work. I worked at a Ford dealer some years ago. All the mechanics at that shop where excellent (the stock car driver/builder Maynard Troyer worked with me)

~John

Old 07-26-2007, 05:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Island Mariner
I remember seeing two techs working on my BMW at the dealer. I was getting an oil change and the car was on the lift. There were two technicians, both capable looking adults in lab coats, walking under my car checking things. They both had flashlights, and for about 15 minutes they looked things over. They would call each other over and point at things and write what they found on clipboards. It was expensive, yes, but I always had a nice loaner whenever I wanted one and I always left there 100% confident that they had done a good job.
Probably took two guys with Ph.D's to keep the **** thing running.

Last edited by TeeSter; 07-26-2007 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
2 fluids he might be refering to are the motor electronic coolant and the eCVT transmission fluid.
I think you're right. They aren't exotic fluids, though. The tranny fluid is regular old Mercon and the motor electronics coolant is motorcraft premium gold engine coolant.

I suppose I could replace the Mercon with a synthetic. My '01 Saab has an Aisin-Warner (just Aisin now?) auto tranny and they are very clear that it just takes plain old Dexron III fluid. There was some problem using synthetics in them. (I think it had to do with the coefficient of friction??).

Thanks, everyone. I'll probably wait until about 30k and change the tranny fluid. I'll wait 3-4 years for the coolant.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

There was some problem using synthetics in them. (I think it had to do with the coefficient of friction??).
That may be true for actual automatic transmissions that have wet clutches. The eCVT has no friction plates or bands, the fluid is just a lubricant, so I will be using a synthetic fluid in mine when it come to about 30K.