Anyone having problems with Continental Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone having problems with Continental Tires?

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
I noticed last week end one of my tires had a small bulge in the sidewall. We took it on a little trip yesterday down to Sarasota to St Armands Circle and I noticed the bulge was getting bigger. I took it to the dealer this morning and they replaced it under warranty. The service tech hardly even looked at it and called it a warranty issue. I have never owned Contis and asked him if he had a lot of issues with them failing and he said he gets a few that get warrantied. Has anyone else had any issues with them? I will definitely replace them with another brand when these wear out. I've always had good luck with BFG, Bridgestone and Toyo.
I forgot to ask. Have you hit any bad bumps lately? Here in Montreal, our roads consist of small parts of pavement held together by numerous potholes in between, especially in the spring. If so, have a look at the rim to make sure you did not dent it.

Cheers,

Roch

Old 03-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Never hit a bad bump, pothole or anything. This is Natalie's baby and she drives it most of the time. We have great roads in our area. I drive it like an old woman, ie, trying to get the most mpg. Natalie laughs at me for it. I drive my sports cars & my Dakota off road like a bat out of hell, but when I drive the FEH I get my geek on!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Anyone having problems with Continental Tires?

I had my first experience with a sidewall bubble last summer on a $150 Michelin CrossTerrain -- not on my FEH. I learned that (the tire experts will say) 2 things can cause those bubbles....a manufacturing defect, or an "impact fracture" of the liner from hitting a curb or pothole too hard. Sounds like they assummed from your low mileage that it was a defect and replaced it under warranty. In my case I had 9,000 miles on a 60,000 tire and they insisted that I had hit "road hazard" and would not replace the tire unless I had purchased the $15 per tire road hazard insurance.

My point was, if you are going to design and market the tires for SUVs to travel "CrossTerrain" then any impact that does not bend the rim of the wheel should not destroy the tire............it fell on deaf ears. It was the first of the over 40 Michelin tires I have owned through the years.......to ever display a bubble.

Until a comparable LRR tire is identified it is good that they installed a new EcoPlus on your FEH.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Your point is well taken Glenn. This is a sport ute and thus the tire should be able to take an off road excursion without failing. It is sad that sport utes have become the new mini van for soccer moms ( no offense, just taking a view from the designers perspective). I have owned a few off road vehicles in my time and I am amazed at how pedestrian 4WD and all wheel drive tires have become. I like the Contis on the road, but if I take the road less traveled, the pattern doesn't shed mud or snow, in which it becomes a big fat slick. I am already looking for a set of rims to mount snow tires on. I have done the same on my Dakota. NO tire is truly "all season".

Old 03-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Early Adopter

The Eco Plus are OK, not great, not terrible. A typical OEM fitment (unlike the garbage Bridgestone RE92s that were stock on the classic Prius). Mine have 26000 on them now and still look good (at 25k when I rotated them the tire guys said they looked perfect and hardly needed rotation). I do run them at 40psi and rotate them every 5k miles.

When these are ready to go I will probably put Nokian WRs on. I put those on the Prius last summer and they are fantastic in the rain (which we get a lot of here) and are one of the only four-season tires that have the severe service emblem (snowflake) logo to work as snow tires.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the PM andyh. Yeah, I have a hook up on ebay. QYK motors. I'll buy my rims from them. They rock. Hooked me up a great price on rims for '00 Dakota. Tires will be from Wal Mart. best prices. get a mounting from Gemini/Goodyear. Somebody have a FSM for '07 Escapes hosted? I have one for my Dak given for free. I would gladly host/scan and make available.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevewa

When these are ready to go I will probably put Nokian WRs on

I have heard great reports on these tires, I may buy 4 of them for my 4WD FEH before next Winter sets in here. Other than gas mileage, I see absolutely nothing to recommend the ECO PLUS.

~John

Old 03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Your stock tires are good for 80,000+ miles, if taken care of.
If you get rid of them early, you're loosing a lot of $$$.
( hope you can sell them )
I strongly reccommend 40-44psi to EXTEND tire life.
More than 35psi = good for 99% of situations.
Lower than 35psi = bad for 99% of situations.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Early Adopter

Like I mentioned, when I went to the local tire shop to get mine rotated they were amazed at how perfectly evenly they were wearing. Compared to the Prius, which chews through tires like they were made by Wrigley instead of Bridgestone, the FEH is a dream.

The ECO PLUS tires are OK, but with WRs I think a 4WD FEH would be virtually skid-proof. One note on the WRs however, if you have mostly dry weather (e.g. California, Arizona, etc) they are not as solidly handling on dry pavement as some other tires, they can feel a little "squishy" then. But here in the urban rainforest they are ideal.

I should also mention that I've never needed a wheel alignment in the FEH despite our rather terrible roads. Of course, now I have the dreaded rear-end squeak to deal with, but that's another story...

Last edited by stevewa; 03-28-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
Thanks for the PM andyh. Yeah, I have a hook up on ebay. QYK motors. I'll buy my rims from them. They rock. Hooked me up a great price on rims for '00 Dakota. Tires will be from Wal Mart. best prices. get a mounting from Gemini/Goodyear. Somebody have a FSM for '07 Escapes hosted? I have one for my Dak given for free. I would gladly host/scan and make available.
Another thing to note when getting separate rims is the tire pressure sensors. In th 06 at least, there are sensors mounted to the rim. You either need to get new sensors for the new rims or live with the console computer complaining everytime you start the car (unless someone has figured out a solution).

Cheers,

Roch

Quick Reply: Anyone having problems with Continental Tires?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands