Anyone tow with a FEH? MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone tow with a FEH? MPH?

My understanding is that LED lights draw much lower current (haven't yet tried them). So they should work just fine I believe.

In my case with a trailer in tow and no vampire tap to the battery for power, the lights worked for a few minutes of turn signal action and then would stop working. Tail lights and marker lights all worked fine throughout my (long) trip. A few times the turn signal worked without the deactivation kicking in, but for the most part they would work for a few minutes and then stop working.

My inference is that the LED lights would solve the problem nicely. If you try it put up a post and tell us where bought & what kind of lights you put in. In my case I towed a U-Haul and the LED thing wasn't an option.

I called the company and complained about the lights issue and they sent me out the separately powered unit. It works just fine. Didn't get it until after that tow trip though.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:33 AM
MrT
Enthusiast

As expected, when I pulled the LH tail light loose and unhooked the T harness for the converter/modulite, the L turn signal went back to normal.

Guess I'll have to look at the wiring again before the next trip. Definitely not doing it now b/c it's too bleeping hot out.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Imported from Detroit

From the '08 FEH manual on Turn Signals and Hazard Lamps. The same exact info is under Stop Lamps and Head Lamps.

Field-Effect Transistor (FET) Protection
The SJB utilizes a FET protective circuit strategy for many of its outputs (for example, the headlamp output circuit). Output loads (current level) are monitored for excessive current (typically short circuits) and are shut down (turns off the voltage or ground provided by the module) when a fault is detected. A continuous DTC is stored at that time for the fault. The circuit will then reset after a customer demand of the function (switching the component on, battery saver being energized). When an excessive circuit load occurs several times, the module shuts down the output until a repair procedure is carried out. At the same time, the continuous DTC that was stored on the first failure will not clear by a command to clear the continuous DTCs. The module will not allow this code to be cleared or the circuit restored to normal operation until a successful on-demand self-test proves that the fault has been repaired. After the on-demand self-test has successfully completed (no on-demand DTCs present), the continuous DTC will have been cleared and the circuit function will return.
Each circuit has three predefined levels of short circuit tolerance established in the module based on each circuits' capability. When the first or second level is reached, the continuous DTC associated with the circuit sets along with DTC B106E. These DTCs may be cleared using the Clear DTC operation on the scan tool as long as the fault itself has been corrected. If any of the circuits are shorted past the third level, then B106F and B1342 set along with the associated continuous DTC. This DTC cannot be cleared and the module must be replaced.
The SJB FET protected output circuits for the turn lamp system are for the LH front turn lamp output and the RH front turn lamp output circuits. The rear turn lamps utilize the stoplamp circuitry and are also protected. For additional information regarding the rear stop lamps, refer to Stoplamps in this section.