AWD and other indicators

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: AWD and other indicators

Originally Posted by RichB
  1. Is there any indication that I'm in AWD mode? I was going up to Lake Tahoe in the snow and the only thing indicating that I was a AWD vehicle to the chain inspectors was me holding up 4 fingers. There's no AWD sign. Other than looking under the back of the car... there's nothing. Also, when driving in the snow, how do I know AWD is in action? My old guzzler (93 Chevy Surburban) had lights and I had to shift the sucker. I was hoping that the hybrid energy display would have added a bar showing power to the rear wheels!
There is no "AWD Active" indicator. I, myself, strongly felt one was needed. and even thought that the hybrid power graphic on the NAV system could/should show power being sent to the rear wheels too.

Until I learned more about the AWD used. It really isn't either just 'on' or 'off'. It is kind-of like a pulse modulation scheme. The amount of torque sent to the rear wheels constantly varies, as needed.

So, what would an "AWD Active" indicator on the dash do? Vary its brightness with the amount of torque being sent to the rear wheels?

I also agree that there should be some kind of badge ID'ing the AWD/4WD models from the 2WD models. One should not have to look between the rear wheels to tell its gender.

Last edited by WaltPA; 02-04-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: AWD and other indicators

Originally Posted by WaltPA

I also agree that there should be some kind of badge ID'ing the AWD/4WD models from the 2WD models. One should not have to look between the rear wheels to tell its gender.
I'll definitely agree with that.

When I stock in a used Escape where I work, I always have to get down on the ground & look under it to verify if it is really 4WD or not. I do scan in the vin # & do what's known as a "vin explosion", but it is wrong often enough that I don't trust it without actually looking for the 4WD driveshaft.......

~John