Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Bad Smell when running cabin air (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/bad-smell-when-running-cabin-air-26764/)

kpdandjad 04-08-2011 05:46 AM

Bad Smell when running cabin air

I have a 2008 FEH, last week we started noticing a bad smell whenever we ran the cabin air. Upon investigating, I lifted up the black plastic crowling near the windshield wipers, and found mice had built a nest next to the cabin air filter box. Once I cleaned up that mess, the smell was gone. I have no idea how they got into that area. Anyone else had a similar problem?

wptski 04-08-2011 07:19 AM

Re: Bad Smell when running cabin air

I've heard of them making a home inside a engine air filter once.

wwest 04-08-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by kpdandjad (Post 234581)
I have a 2008 FEH, last week we started noticing a bad smell whenever we ran the cabin air. Upon investigating, I lifted up the black plastic crowling near the windshield wipers, and found mice had built a nest next to the cabin air filter box. Once I cleaned up that mess, the smell was gone. I have no idea how they got into that area. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Make a tight gasket for around the wiper shafts, mouse pad material, 1/4" foam, works well.

Matt D 04-14-2011 09:47 AM

When I purchased my '06 (used) I found that mine didn't even have a cabin air filter to begin with. Not sure how the previous owner went about with the HVAC on and didn't notice.

kpdandjad 04-14-2011 12:38 PM

I don't think Ford puts cabin air filters in any of these suv's. I had to buy one for my 2008 FEH and install myself as my wife has allergies.